Sign in to follow this  

XT 550 tach disassembly?

The tach on my '82 XT 550 doesn't work. Found the tach cable snapped so gonna order a new one. Also found tach drive is all flopping around on the back of the tach. Removed it and tried prying around the seam in teh tach case on the bottom. Got it halfway free but it seems like there's some strong glue/adhesive on there and I don't wanna break the plastic. Any tips on removing this?

Also, when I spin the tach input the tach just goes all the way to pinned, doesn't return or anything. Any thoughts on if this is repairable? Tachs are hard to find and when you see them they are top dollar.

Use a hair dryer around the seam, it will loosen up the factory glue and slowy and gently pry the seam apart until its freed up, I do it on my honda spedos so it should work on your XT also. As far as the repair, see whats the problem when you get into it.

• Like 1

just spend about 100 bucks and get a vapor unit and you can take all that stuff off. i did it to my xt 350 and had no problems.

The trail tech unit?

If you can get the tach working, it's probably worth the $12 for a cable. If you can't get it working, I'd go with the suggested digital gauges.

I managed to find an XT250 tach along with some other stuff, the whole lot cost me $50 and was well worth it.

The mechanical tachs in working condition go for quite a bit of scratch on ebay, that's why I wouldn't pursue it if you can't make it work. The non-returning needle may be a simple spring that popped loose.

I got mine apart [cutting the seam with an abrasive wheel] the spring was all wadded up [junk] I ordered an oem [xt550j] last year still in stock I had been without a tach for 6 years but my cover would'nt stay on so I fixed it.