Sign in to follow this  

protaper handle bars on xr4

Any body have them on there xr4 the 1 1/8 fat boy bars,what kind Henry/Reed or cr high/low style bend .What brand clamps or risers did you use .

Just installed ProTaper fat bars and risers last weekend. I bought them from Cycle Gear here in Boise. I chose the Hi-bend Mini bars, as they provide a slightly higher bend than the Hi Cr bars, but are 1in narrower. Also installed a 3/4in riser/adapter. Would have loved 1.5in, but it was all they had in stock at the time. I love the extra height the new bars give me, and its nice to have the modern look, as well.

I run the Pro-taper Contour Windham mid bend with Risers I got from the U.S.When I bought them they were $65,this was around 2 years ago.

Went I just went back to check how much now they were $89.I thought they were too much when I bought them but I couldnt find anything else.

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=56249

And the Risers from side on.Moves them forward as well.

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=43068

Larraboy---Thanks for the pics that what I was looking for,to see how they fit and looked on the top triple tree . I was planning to put a trail tech vapor computer on too ,but now Im not to sure it will fit since the bars are moved forward . I have a baja head light with all the hardware on the back of it so not much room there . Think I will look for different raiser or if someone has that setup will chime in with some help.Looking at your pics could you turn the risers around to face the bars further back and put the bolt in the front hole . Or will this make the bars hit the tank when turned to the locks .Thank again for your help.

Oldslowguy,I'm not too sure about turning them around>I think that they might hit the tank[but I dont know]the only reason I got the ones I did was that I wanted to move the bars forward AND up.I'm a pretty tall guy and wanted to open up the cockpit a little.If you just want to move the bars up but not forward you can get risers that do that I think.As for the Trailtech Vapor I reckon you could fabricate a bracket that mounts on the front of the triple clamp.Mine has a couple of holes that the original speedo mounts to.I would imagine that if your not needing to move them forward there should be enough room to one as they are pretty small .

Hope this helps mate :)

Larraboy---Thanks for the pics that what I was looking for,to see how they fit and looked on the top triple tree . I was planning to put a trail tech vapor computer on too ,but now Im not to sure it will fit since the bars are moved forward . I have a baja head light with all the hardware on the back of it so not much room there . Think I will look for different raiser or if someone has that setup will chime in with some help.Looking at your pics could you turn the risers around to face the bars further back and put the bolt in the front hole . Or will this make the bars hit the tank when turned to the locks .Thank again for your help.

You'll also note that in the pictures, the inner barkbuster mounts are connected to the triple clamps. Do this - most of the pro-taper inner bar mounts are a constant PITA and always come loose after the slightest biff. I ended up using epoxy on one side and permanently gluing it in place after fighting with it for a couple of years.

JayC

i have the Henry/Reed bars on my xr400. they were originally in BRP triple clamps but after the USD fork conversion the same bars are sitting in my Emig triples.

i made my own bar risers. Pretty easy really;

get a lump of alu,

drill a bar sized hole through the middle,

drill some holes down the sides for the bolts to go through, Cut it in half.

Repeat process for other side:thumbsup:

Perhaps thats a little oversimplified:thinking::)

ATV Bars! $40-$60 depending if you want Fly, MSR or Pro-Taper.

These are Flys, just put MSRs on my 400.

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=39278

Rocky mountain has tusk brand big bar adapters for 35 dollars. They look clean and only raise bars up 5/8 inch. I also got a set of longhorn cr low bars on clearance from them for $20.

Dam should have checked rocky mountain first , but thanks guys . I did order a protaper fat bars kit ( bars,mounts,pad,grips,glue ) on ebay for 115$ shipped . The mounts raised the bars 20 mm . the 5/8 sounded better though .

I'vs been using the same Pro-taper bars for 9 years. Took them off my 2000 CR250 when I sold it and slapped them on the XR400 in 03'. I used the Pro-taper mounts as well.