Sign in to follow this  

any old carb experts?

i am working on a 1965 honda 250 scrambler, has electronic ign, and the carbs have been cleaned and floats set. starts ok, but will not take any throttle unless you give it throttle real slow. set valves--does not smoke--have not done a comp. ck yet. have messed with the timing with no luck. any ideas?

will ck jetting with manual. stock air boxes- air cleaners-- and are new. i did raise both needles one from the bottom that did help. going to take carbs off and ck jetting and raise needles all the way and run without air cleaners and see. hope you don't mind a pic.

thanks EddieDSC01445.jpg

very nice. i used to have a 65 CB160 and i did it the same colors as yours.

Are you sure your main jets are clear? are they synchronized properly? Those items would be the 1st 2 things i would check and all that i can think of that could cause the problem you're describing. Eddie will undoubtedly know what the problem is. Hang on, i'm sure the answer is on it's way.

tom

just pulled the carbs off and ck everything. had 120 mj's manual says 125mj. the carbs have a set of extra mj behind a screw which were 125's. this is a friends bike and he did the carbs before. carbs are all stock now and clean and will sink them when all goes back together.

Main jets shouldnt be thr problem if it is hard to get rpms up from idle. I would say lean pilot or dirty pilot jet and or dirty idle circuit. Blow some carb cleaner through the circuits and jets. Dont forget to remove the air mixture screw and squirt some in there too.

changed the mj's to 125 and raised the needles all the way. runs great now. must have been way lean. thanks Eddie--you were right on as usual. and thanks to everybody else for the help.