Sign in to follow this  

Installed Bar End Mirrors on my XR650L Sumo

I just installed a set of Motrax bar end mirrors on my XR650L after having them laying around since last Summer. The reason I hadn't installed them until now is that I was trying to figure out a way to get them on there and still retain my Bush Guards and Bar End Sliders. :)

After much consideration, and no real plan formulated, I ended up saying to myself "plans are highly overrated, I'm a man, I don't read instructions and I don't need no steenkin' plan". I then proceeded to take the Bar End Sliders off, while leaving the Bush Guards on. Once I had the Sliders off I compared the thickness of the sliders to the thickness of the "clamp" on the Bar End Mirrors ... they were pretty close, so I used the Allen bolt that came with the Bush Guards to see if I could get them on. Unfortunately the Allen bolt wouldn't catch the anchor for the Bush Guard inside the handle bars. :banghead:

I then took the bushing/mount that comes with the Bar End Mirrors and proceeded to use a flat file to file away enough material off to make them a little skinnier. The bushing/mount is aluminum so it's pretty easy to file material off of. After around 10 or 15 minutes I had enough material filed away that when I put them back on the Allen bolt caught the keeper in the bar and then it was just a matter of adjusting them and tightening them down.

I'm quite happy with them, the only two drawbacks are that they stick out from the bar ends around three inches, and I now don't have any sliders on the end of the bars, which means if I lay it down now the mirrors are most likely toast. If that happens I'll just put the stock mirrors back on and the Bar End Sliders. You can get the Motrax bar end mirrors off of e-Bay for $20 bucks, so even if they do get toasted you're not out very much money.

Here's some pics of them installed (sorry for the crappy photos, but my camera sucks and doesn't focus very well when taking close shots ... plus it was -26 °C where the bike is stored).

BackMirrors.jpg

FrontMirrors.jpg

LeftClamp.jpg

BarEnd.jpg

RightMirror2.jpg

RightMirror3.jpg

there's a bunch of ways to mount them, bar, barend & stock...

most of the barend mounts i've seen are down and under the grips.

since i'm always crash'n :banghead: i used the stock mounting location, 10mm bolt and rubber gromets...

it's not ideal...i have to look under my arms but it's a gud trainer for reminding me to keep my elbows up :banghead:

DSC01634.jpg

DSC01700.jpg

:)

I thought of doing it that way Kenzo, but decided that putting them on the bar ends would give better coverage and reduce the blur from vibration.

I'll see how they work this way, and if it sucks I'll give your way a try. I've also heard that the actual mirror lens is prone to loosening up and falling out. One of the suggested ways of alleviating this is to take out the small retaining Allen bolt, removing the lens and putting some silicone behind it to more or less "stick" it to the backing. This is also supposed to help with the blur from vibration. :banghead::)

How good can you see behind you with mirrors that small? I have decided that I like the brush guards and fold out mirrors from Highwaydirtbikes. Those mirrors also look a little small but the design is cool, and was just curious how well you can see. Thanks

How good can you see behind you with mirrors that small? I have decided that I like the brush guards and fold out mirrors from Highwaydirtbikes. Those mirrors also look a little small but the design is cool, and was just curious how well you can see. Thanks

I was thinking the same thing before I put them on fshnrob, but when I got them installed I was actually surprised at how good the coverage was. IMO having them on the bar ends gives better coverage than I had with the stock mirrors. I found the height and placement of the stock mirrors left a lot of blind spots and I was forever trying to move them around to get rid of it. :)

haven't had any vibration problems w/ the rubber gromets(blurring or loose glass)...but they are far from an ideal location...actually they only provide a very limited viewing area but i don't do much slab riding...VERY little in heavy traffic...and i always turn and look :)

much better than nothing or even a single mirror and they keep me relatively legal...

mine have a bit of a convex/wide angle design...i paid $39 a pair off ebay a while back...Cyclegear wus selling them for $60 :foul:

-26 :banghead: i thought todays mid-40's gray and raining sucked! if u don't mind cud u just keep ur cold fronts up there where they belong???

:banghead:

-26 :banghead: i thought todays mid-40's gray and raining sucked! if u don't mind cud u just keep ur cold fronts up there where they belong???

:)

hehehehehe ... we've pretty much got the market cornered on keeping cold fronts locked up here in the Northwest Territories!!! Unfortunately, in compliance with the Geneva Convention, we can only keep them locked up so long before we have to release them. :banghead: