Sign in to follow this  

And the verdict is...bearing failure!

Here's where the metal in my motor came from.

Bbearing.jpg

It's this guy right here:

1212081411.jpg

Here's the only damage I've discovered so far:

shaft.jpg

I don't believe this caused it, but was wrong:

wrong.jpg

Whoops! Shoulda caught this one :)

whatswrong.jpg

So there it is. I believe it also took out the opposing tranny bearing and both counter weight bearings, the said three are hanging up pretty bad. The outer bearing race of the nuked bearing stayed in the case, gonna get it out later. I'm sure glad I sunk the motor again, as I'd just changed oil and wouldn't have checked the filter again for awhile, might've wrecked the tranny had I not sank it. Any ideas why that particular bearing failed?

Here's where the metal in my motor came from.

Bbearing.jpg

It's this guy right here:

1212081411.jpg

Here's the only damage I've discovered so far:

shaft.jpg

I don't believe this caused it, but was wrong:

wrong.jpg

Whoops! Shoulda caught this one :p

whatswrong.jpg

So there it is. I believe it also took out the opposing tranny bearing and both counter weight bearings, the said three are hanging up pretty bad. The outer bearing race of the nuked bearing stayed in the case, gonna get it out later. I'm sure glad I sunk the motor again, as I'd just changed oil and wouldn't have checked the filter again for awhile, might've wrecked the tranny had I not sank it. Any ideas why that particular bearing failed?

I know this have to be one of the most frustrating re-re-build of all time for you........But I admire and thank you for posting the results. Many projects we take on in life are blessed with success and some with....well ...not success......and :banghead::foul: for letting us see the results...... Trust me...I have had a fair share of ....Not so good`ers in the Carbon Fiber world myself.

That said...I`m sure this time it will be all right........:):banghead:

Erling

In this picture

whatswrong.jpg

The mark is from the clutch basket, believe it or not, normal, at least those marks have been on several engines I have seen.

When we talked, I thought the damage was on the other side of the output shaft. My guess here would be something got into the bearing during build and prevented it from turning, forcing the shaft to rotate in the inner race.

Also, was the spacer (visible on the picture above) on the end of the shaft sit flush with the end or does/did it protrude?

According to the picture in the maintenance manual, I've got that bracket in upside-down, hence the marks on it. The spacer was flush with the end of the tranny shaft, not protruding. And I did say stator-side bearing in our conversation, my mistake :)

I know how you feel, Ive still got mine to rebuild after a big end failure, caused on the most part by me not spotting a bent gear change shaft. Hope you can get it sorted ok.

Dan

well,its better to see exactly where the metal comes from than trying to guess.

regardless of the water you would have been in there again any way.

when i closed my cases i had a suspicion about the 2 shaft washers.turns out i did the same thing you did but it nagged me so i opened them again and made things right.

sorry to hear about your outcome but a few new bearings and back in business.

thanks for clearing up the results (excellent pics) of shrapnel in your filter. sorry about the extra expenses.

Topaz