Sign in to follow this  

how long did it take you...

To do your first top end change?? im just curious, i just got done doing mine at about 5, but i started at 12!!! and before i the other day i was reading on here everone saying they do it in about an hour... lol but i made i few rookie mistakes but homw long was ur first one??

• Like 1

what kind of bike do you have?

i just did mine for the first time the week before last, it took me about 2 hours...

depends how much time I spend cleaning stuff like power valve and sutch. but an hour or two is about typical :)

It does vary from bike to bike as some have more complicated set ups than others and depends on how much you want to cheat at it. A friend of mine simply removes the nuts at the base of the cylinder and slides the whole top end up and over the piston without removing the head or inspecting the exhaust valves. It still takes him more than an hour though.

The 1st time I did mine I took my time , cleaned the bike 100% before I took it apart , cleaned every part 2x and made sure everything came together well. So my first time I didnt mind spending longer than what people say here. If you want you can easily do a topend in a hr if you dont bother cleaning everything and dont take beer breaks in between.

Remember its not about how long it takes to do a piston , its about doing it PROPERLY.

Depends on how the bike is made. On 250s for example, you have to take out the carb to access the reed valve which goes directly into the cylinder. On some bikes you have to take out the rads, some bikes have a perimeter frame, etc.

On my 00 and 01 KX125s I could replace a piston in less than 40 minutes. On a YZ250 I need about 2 hours.

My first top end was on a 94 KX60. I was 12 at the time, and I did it with my dad (his first top end too) in an afternoon.

i did my first top end in about an hour, and now i can do one in about a half hour if i have to absolutly rush one between motos or something (which i have done before on an rm 125)

took me a couple hours just to get it all cleaned up once apart, it was in a terrible condition though that was the first one. about 2 hours is normal for me now

Yeah i figure about 2-4 hours but its not a speed contest its precision work, too many things can cause the engine to grenade so take your time and do it right, dont take short cuts, do it properly!

yeah i deffently dident take any short cuts, i was pretty parnoid about every little detail... and i broke it in yesterday and it RIPS!!!!!!! so first top end was a complete sucess!!

Haven't done a 4-stroke in years, they were old XR's where you had to pull the motor out of the frame so it took a while.

Besides that, I did a KTM 300 a while back, it was pretty easy. Probably a couple hours including all the basic stuff like removing the seat, tank, draining the coolant, etc.

4 years and counting on my DRZ, and no need yet. I check the valves regularly and they've always been 100% in spec. I ride it pretty hard, too, but then again, it's no race motor and I don't bounce off the rev limiter 40 times a lap...