How much safety gear do you casual riders use?

By casual I just mean non-competing riders, not riding style. I don't compete but I ride just about every day and pretty aggresively.

So anyways, today as I was going 40+ MPH through trees, over rock patches, past timber piles, etc, I realized how many things are alongside/on the trails that could be pretty painful, even fatal if you hit them.

Right now I'm just riding with boots and a helmet. I'm definatly considering some knee pads and a chest protector now though. Money's tight for me so it's either that or the new chain and sprockets that I'll be needing soon. Any advice?

Pick a part of the body you want to get hurt and don't protect it. I wear boots, knee and elbow pads, chest protector, kidney belt, gloves and helmet every time I ride. I do 90% on a track but have done some trail and hare scrambles.

I am always amazed and the gouges in my gear and wonder what my skin would have looked like.

Up 'til now, my body has been resiliant to breaks/fractures...but since i've hit the 30s, I'm a fairly heavy guy (260), and this is my 3rd year riding only...I hit the deck pretty often and pretty hard...

When I ride, I wear:

Helmet

Pressure suit (Acerbis Koerta)

Knee Guards

Leatt Brace

Boots

Gloves with knuckle protectors

Over-kill for most, but I prefer to have the ability to ride "again"...

just helmet and boots at the moment. my jacket has elbow/shoulder pads and a big foam thingy in it for the back.

i have some EVS knee braces/pads on order though and will eventually buy body armor.ive only been riding 6 months off road and havent had a really bad fall yet (touch wood)

there called accidents for a reason you don't now when exactly your gonna crash and how badly your gonna get banged up. Iv seen one of my friend in street cloths crash at 70 mph on the street and limp away with minor injures and another friend dump at 5 mph and broke both bones in his lower leg. Im a bad example iv never hurt my self that bad "knock on wood" riding I almost always were a helmet and boots when im on my Cr 125 and I were no protection when im one my Drz 125, yet i crash more on my Drz. I recommend always a helmet at least and boots too.

I agree with a couple of the other posters: "accidents" are rarely foreseen- obviously it'll happen more often if you're an aggressive rider, but if you ride something with wheels it's not a question of "if", but rather "when".

I'd say if you're riding 40mph past trees it's a good idea to suit up. I used to race Downhill Mtn Bikes and was amazed at the number of riders that wore very little protective equipment and/or cheap bicycle helmets. Trees don't move- not even for a car.

Another thing is to learn to crash right. I know it sounds stupid but iv learned from Mountain bike racing and EMT classes is some times if you get into a inevitable situation its best to ditch, tuck, roll and hope for the best. I can see were chest protectors, knee & elbow pads, kidney belts and other gear like that is great on the track and if you feel better when you ride with then wear it but for a casual ride Na. maybe a chest protector if your riding with others but I find I don't ride as good with all that gear on i lose the fell for my bike.

• Like 1

Helmet, gloves, boots, goggles, chest protector, all have saved me from some type of injury, especially the helmet and chest protector. If your ng near rocks I'd recommend a chest protector.

I crashed iin rocks a couple of times and the shoulder and back show the signs. Couple of 2 and 3 inch gashes about 1/4 inich deep. Don't want to know what my back and shoulder would have looked like without the chest protector.

one other piece of gear that gets overlooked and that i started wearing is a mouthguard. prevents concussion and keeps your grill nice and chip free

True that. Never actually thought of that. The worst thing isn't crashing and get hurt. Its crashing, getting hurt, and be disabled/stranded from help or civilization with no way to get help.

From my experience with injuries I think more gear is better. I trail ride but I still wear a lot of gear. I wear a high end helmet, plus chest protector, elbow pads and knee pads. The bike also has bark busters with plastic flags. I ride in tight woods and when I competed in enduros I found the shoulder pads, elbow pads, and bark busters very useful when flying thru the trees. Trees can sometimes be your friend to help redirect the bike if you are wearing padding. I don't wear goggle because of fogging problems but I do wear glasses because you must have eye protection; I use the helmet visor to deflect brush and stuff by tilting my head.