Sign in to follow this  

Maxxis desert IT?? opinions?

Wondering if anyone has any input on these tires.

--Maxxis MaxxCross Desert-IT M7304D Front Tire

I recently got a deal on a new Maxxis Desert-IT rear tire from a friend. Previous to this I was going to get a set of the Pirelli Scorpion Pro's. I really like the Pirelli front, but now I kinda like the look of the matching Maxxis front. Any thoughts?

It will be going on an XR400.

I love the Maxxis Desert IT's I have had them on my last 3 bikes and the wear great here in the Colorado rockies, no chunking like most others I have had, I have had them on a 2-CRF450's an XR650R, and a KTM 300 EXC no problems at all but I dont see much mud or sand.

I don't like the Maxxis Desert IT front tire, I have tried then on a few different bikes and always felt like the front end wanted to wash out. It wouldn't stay planted in hard turns.

Now that same tire but in the rear is a excellent desert tire!

It does push worse than average in sand but is by far the longest lasting front i've tried.

I don't like the Maxxis Desert IT front tire, I have tried then on a few different bikes and always felt like the front end wanted to wash out. It wouldn't stay planted in hard turns.

Now that same tire but in the rear is a excellent desert tire!

What pressure were you running I never had that feeling with it

What pressure were you running I never had that feeling with it

I tired 15 and 18. I normally run 18 but I lowered it trying to get it to stick.

I now run a Michelin S12 front tire at 18 psi and love it.

Just use the Desert IT on the rear, forget about up front. For front use, go S12 for the ultimate combo front/rear.

Agreed.

I have been using the IT on the rear & the Scorpion Pro up front. This has been working well for me.

The desert rear works and wears well but the front is too unpredictable. I've tried it at pressure from 12 to 20 and it just does not hold when pushed.

Another vote for the Maxxis rear and a good soft/Int front. I've had good luck with the Dunlop 756 of 755.

have a d756 on the back of my cr250....it sucks i run the maxxis desert it front and rear about 8-10 rear and about 7-8 up front

bada$$ tire

I went with some reg max cross IT this time

I wanted something softer up front

but a desert IT rear is bomber

Another vote for the Maxxis rear and a good soft/Int front. I've had good luck with the Dunlop 756 of 755.

The Maxxis Desert IT rear and the Dunlop 756 front is what I've been using the last couple years or so (sometimes a Bridgestone ED78 rear) with good results all over the USA and Mexico. Except this last trip in Baja - which was pretty rocky.

At 400 miles...

488537653_XEc5z-L.jpg

At 600 miles...

488791347_JDVCn-L.jpg

I've never, ever seen one come apart like this so quickly. The tire was new - just off the brown santa truck (from RockyMtATV) before I left. It was a fresh one.

:)

488520874_gq7zB-L.jpg

Wondering if anyone has any input on these tires.

--Maxxis MaxxCross Desert-IT M7304D Front Tire

I recently got a deal on a new Maxxis Desert-IT rear tire from a friend. Previous to this I was going to get a set of the Pirelli Scorpion Pro's. I really like the Pirelli front, but now I kinda like the look of the matching Maxxis front. Any thoughts?

It will be going on an XR400.

The desert -IT is great for the rear. I use the moto-IT for the front since it has a softer compound.:)

i had problems with the front desert IT washing out on me, so i want something softer up front

and the fronts dont wear nearly as fast as the rears so

how did you manage to bake a desert IT in 500 miles??? unless your a 2 smoke 500 or 650r by chance

I run Desert IT front and rear on my dualsport and IM happy. I like the fact that they are so stiff you can ride them home with no air no damage.

I would hate to ride behind Gaspipe as I know he throws rocks

how did you manage to bake a desert IT in 500 miles??? unless your a 2 smoke 500 or 650r by chance

On a KTM 540 (4 stroke). Usually they last quite a bit longer for me.

i got just over 1K on a 50%used up desert IT just cruising around the road on my XRR i didnt want to change it yet so i wanted to see how far down i could use it on the road needles to say 1K miles on a already half used tire is not the best idea but i wanted to see how it would do that worn and how the tire itself would hold up to being punished like that...made a believer out of me