Sign in to follow this  

"Front Fender Mod......."

I thought this might help air flow across the top of the head since there are no side scoops to help out, had toyed with the idea of just removing most of the back half of the fender but went with this idea instead, feel its still in good taste, 1/2 for the smaller holes and 1 1/2 hole saw bit on the larger ones, kind of a home made cycra type concept, what you guys think?

Picture766.jpg

Picture767.jpg

Picture768.jpg

Good mod WEAPONX. :)

The only suggestion I have is that if you're going to be riding it in the mud/dust very much, you might want to put some sort of fine mesh screening over those holes. It shouldn't cut down on the air flow, but will be good for catching/keeping mud from getting onto the engine too much. :banghead:

The only suggestion I have is that if you're going to be riding it in the mud/dust very much, you might want to put some sort of fine mesh screening over those holes. It shouldn't cut down on the air flow, but will be good for catching/keeping mud from getting onto the engine too much. :banghead:

Good idea, I hadn't even thought of that, I usually try and stay clear of the mud though, but mostly dusty trail riding, thanks!:banghead: Also want to give a shout of thanks to WR TOM for hooking me up with the stock front frame guard, new condition, bolted right up!

232000101.jpg

Cycra CR250 airflow fenders will work on your L piggy with some shimming

Good job I did the same thing to my KLR, not only did it give better air flow to the radiator, but it stopped the wind from catching the fender. It made for much sturdier freeway riding and the front end wobble/shake/shimmy went away for the most part. It was the one free mod I did that made more of a difference in the bike than anything else I ever did. Until I get the SM front fender for the XR I am going to do the same thing, with one difference, on the side of the front fender right next to the forks, I will drill 4 holes on each side, instead of catching the crosswinds, they just blow right through. Like I said it made a huge difference on the KLR, the difference between not riding on a windy day, and riding on a windy day. It seems the stock fenders on most dual sport bikes are designed to be a sail and catch as much wind as possible, which would make the front end at the mercy of the next big gust.

Looks good!---I've noticed that the front end of the fender creates alot of wind "drag"---may-be put a couple of holes in the front???.

I just cut off 4" front and rear off mine. Allows unrestricted air flow to the head and block. Looks better too!.

A few pics.

IM000627.jpg

IM000629.jpg

IM000630.jpg

IM000631.jpg

Ray

I did the same thing to mine:thumbsup: , and also trimmed 6 inches off the front. I wish I had stopped at 4 cuz you will get some mud thrown forward and mine will not stop it from coming into my face.:) But it's not bad.

BRPPics002.jpg

weaponx,i trimmed my front gaurd about an inch above where your top drill hole is. i also trimmed the front 4 or 5 inches off the front too like trucks and half a inch off the sides and shaped the front bit. it looks like a crf gaurd now,looks sweet as and my temp gauge hovers around 190-230.never gets sbove 230 f. i also removed the tank insulator to keep the frame oil cooler :) but i didnt stop there.i slimmed down the side pannels to like the xr400 and slimmed my rear gaurd too. i never really liked the origional xr600 look but it looks real nice now

yes i agree, great idea, OR on your next try use all smaller holes maybe

I am thinking of "venting" the back of my front fender, but I was wondering if anyone has documented a benifit? If you have an eng temp readout you could tape off the vents, ride, open the fender and ride home to see if it actually helps. Has anyone done this?

i put the acreb's sm fender on mine and hiway wobbles went away and the back has cut out's in it and the bike run's cooler. pretty cheap and i like the way it look's. the stock fender has those round thik waser thinks and i used them as a spacer on top for wire harnes clearance