Sign in to follow this  

Another Idle Question

I searched and could not find any topics on this issue I am having. My bike will not idle when it is cold. It was 50deg. out when I started it and I have to hold the throttle open a bit until it is warm. It starts and idles fine once it is warmed. If I just turn the idle up when it is cold it is to high once the bike is warmed. It isn't a real big deal as the bike warms up quickly but if there is a fix I am willing to try it. Heres the specs, 155 MJ, 45PJ, dynojet needle, opened airbox, aftermarket pipe, ais removed. The bike runs mint everywere but won't cold idle. Thanks for any help

you need to choke it when it's cold =P it's the little black plunger on the left side of your carb. pull that out. it's a little hard to get to, kinda tucked behind the frame. If it still won't idle, it's probably jetting.

edit: sorry , i just reread your post, it looks like you know where your choke is at if you can adjust your idle =P. my guess would be jetting. or maybe you're just trying to set your idle too low? I keep mine set pretty high.

sounds to me like a bit of impatience/high expectations,mine is exactly the same,a little throttle neede for the first minute or so then sweet and i have plenty of mates with different bike that will do the same thing.as long as its idling fine when warmed up and starting easy then i wouldn't stress about it

I use to have this problem but recently switch to a R&D Bowl with adjustable leak jet. Stock the KLX450 has a 50 leak jet. I've found mine runs crisp right between 40 and 50 (not sure if they make a 45) and it cured the not fully warmed up bog/die sydrom. Also a the R&D bowl come with a stiffer accelerator spring which seems to shorten the squirt a little too.

I bought a Merge acelerator spring and afermarket accelerator pump cover before getting the R&D bowl, so if you want to give them a shot let me know offline. Hope the ride in NY was fun, I went local and had a good day. Bike runs like a champ now!