Sign in to follow this  

What can I do to get better endurance?

This year I just started racing harescrambles in the beginner class. For some background info I have been riding for about 3 years, I am 17, 150lbs and am a distance runner on the track team. I usually run about 5 miles a day and can run a 5:00 mile. But when it comes to racing by the end of a race I am always completly dead. I have done 5 races so for and usually finish in the top 10 out of 40 riders. But what I dont get is that most of the people I am riding with are older, bigger and look rather out of shape. How is it that they do it so much better than me. Should I do more lifting and strength training or do I need to just up my cardio work out. What does one of your guy's work outs typically consist of. Any input would be appraciated. Thanks

This year I just started racing harescrambles in the beginner class. For some background info I have been riding for about 3 years, I am 17, 150lbs and am a distance runner on the track team. I usually run about 5 miles a day and can run a 5:00 mile. But when it comes to racing by the end of a race I am always completly dead. I have done 5 races so for and usually finish in the top 10 out of 40 riders. But what I dont get is that most of the people I am riding with are older, bigger and look rather out of shape. How is it that they do it so much better than me. Should I do more lifting and strength training or do I need to just up my cardio work out. What does one of your guy's work outs typically consist of. Any input would be appraciated. Thanks

it's probably how they ride the bike. Are you fighting it thru the race?

If you are a distance runner, you don't need any more endurance. Weight training may help if you just are not strong enough to handle the bike, but I doubt that, that would be like 7 year old weak. :)

simply get a gym membbership work aon your cardio and fore arms and upper legs its a start for ya go about times four times a weak and dont use that muscle milk shit and all that it jsut turns to fat no point in it

simply get a gym membbership work aon your cardio and fore arms and upper legs its a start for ya go about times four times a weak and dont use that muscle milk shit and all that it jsut turns to fat no point in it

what?????

Doesn't matter if your a marathon runner. Cardio is not muscle endurance. Almost any workouts can and will help a bit, but moto is all about muscle endurance. Ever been fatigued as hell but not out of breath? Try a good dose of plyometric routines with some high rep resistance training to go along with your cardio and you will destroy your opponents. Now for me to try and be dedicated enough to take my own advice!

Doesn't matter if your a marathon runner. Cardio is not muscle endurance. Almost any workouts can and will help a bit, but moto is all about muscle endurance. Ever been fatigued as hell but not out of breath? Try a good dose of plyometric routines with some high rep resistance training to go along with your cardio and you will destroy your opponents. Now for me to try and be dedicated enough to take my own advice!

Yes thats ecactly how I feel I get increadibly fatigued but not the least bit out of breath, I dont think my heart rate even goes up that much. What do you mean by plyometric exercises? I have never head of that before.

it's probably how they ride the bike. Are you fighting it thru the race?

If you are a distance runner, you don't need any more endurance. Weight training may help if you just are not strong enough to handle the bike, but I doubt that, that would be like 7 year old weak. :)

I kinda fight the bike but not really that much its only an 03 kdx200 so its not like its a whole lotta of bike. I try to stand up as much as possible, but thats when it really wears me out.

I'm sort of in the same boat - start riding late last summer after 20 years of MTB/BMX/road riding/lifting and was bummed to get smoked by fat overweight smokers.

That said, aside from general saddle time, one thing that's helped me a TON recently has been to force myself to ride standing non-stop for as long as I can (even in turns). It hurts like hell but it's a serious arm/leg workout and teaches throttle control and reinforces pinching the bike and otherwise riding loose.

We've got a short (5-6 minute) woods loop at the local practice track and I've been doing a stand up lap for every 2-3 regular laps for 60+ minutes at a time and it's been helping tremendously.

And to echo what others have said, lift some weights with emphasis on your back, abs and thighs. It makes throwing the bike around much easier.

Ride a bicycle or a bicycle machine. It really helps your thigh muscles that u use alot when standing on a bike. Also do workouts with alot of reps, I helps keep your muscle lite and lean but it will help you be in better shape towards the end of the race too.

I think a lot of it, for me at least, has to do with breathing. You could be completely different, but I don't breath as often as I should and, unless im thinking about it, and trying to control my breathing, I end up so exhausted by the end of the moto. +1 on the plyometrics though...

Ride a bicycle or a bicycle machine. It really helps your thigh muscles that u use alot when standing on a bike. Also do workouts with alot of reps, I helps keep your muscle lite and lean but it will help you be in better shape towards the end of the race too.

I second the bicycle. A lot different workout for your legs than running. You've got the cardio (and the age advantage, you think it's bad now, wait 35 years:smirk: ), sounds like you just need the upper body and core strength. Bicycle works your back and core muscles as well as your legs. In the end, nothing beats seat time on your bike. I have a KDX too, and also am trying to build my riding fitness.

Try hard to resist the urge to slap the next guy who says, "your just sitten' on it, the motor is doing all the work".:)

Just ride...

Us 'old and out-o-shape' guys are just conditioned to the muscles required to keep the pace. Learn how to keep a constant and fluid-pace. Don't train to be a power-lifter. Run, do lifting sets that are more repetative with less weight, ride MB, sled, et al. Find a friend who will push you through technical sections. You'll be cursing his (her) name through it, but, when you come out at the other end; you'll know what I'm talking about. After all... it don't hurt till the bone shows.

I've found 'wrist-curls' at the gym VERY beneficial to keeping the arm-pump stabilized...

Whenever you play-ride, see how long you can stand on the pegs and not sit down. Push yourself to keep your arse off the seat! You'll find yourself feeling a "deep burn" in your legs; but, the more you do it, the less (and longer) it will take to before you start slowing down!

Conditioning is the key. Us Old Fatties have a lot of seat-time and personal-egos to thank for riding the way we do.... don't worry- you'll be there one day, Young-Grasshopper!

If you own a heart rate moniter use it on your hard rides. I used to run alot also and have found that riding will get the H/R higher than running ever did (even speedwork} the elliptcial machine at a gym will give you movments simular to riding,,standing..pulling w/ the arms once you divise your OWN work out on this youll increase the endurance of the primairy muscles you use while riding. THE BEST WAY::SEAT TIME..HAVE FUN !!!!!

If you own a heart rate moniter use it on your hard rides. I used to run alot also and have found that riding will get the H/R higher than running ever did (even speedwork} the elliptcial machine at a gym will give you movments simular to riding,,standing..pulling w/ the arms once you divise your OWN work out on this youll increase the endurance of the primairy muscles you use while riding. THE BEST WAY::SEAT TIME..HAVE FUN !!!!!
And like DRT biker said practice standing more ,I seem to pick better lines when I force myself to stand cause IM trying like hell not to have to put my feet down.:)

yes do more overall strength training (dont' know what you're doing now?) also do you have a heart monitor? how long do you run for when you go out? what mhr% are you working at?

if you can run for an hour on sort sort of incline at 80% (85% is better, the incline just makes it harder) that will be good endurance training COUPLED WITH working on your technique on the bike to be more relaxed and balanced and smoother. Every 3 weeks or so you can do cardio for 90 minutes-2 hours, try to stay above that 80% as long as you can, hopefully for the entire time. You will need to TAKE IN energy at the 40 min or so mark because after that you have depleted your glycogen stores in your body(whats in your muscles and whats in your digestive system) and your body will start burning muscle at that higher percentage effort if you don't feed it new glycogen. I think this is how it works, roughly, in any case you will also learn how to fuel your body for the race.

One session of HIIT training per week, sprinting, will up your vo2 lactic threshhold--you will be able to bump up working harder longer before you go anaerobic, this will boost your endurance at lower effort levels.

One thing I like to do is at the end of those long 85% workouts, I do a sprint all out as hard and as long as I can--for one thing I'm totally pooped by that point and I dont' want to, so I use my WILL to pull out more poop to go faster farther. That last sprint is totally a mind game, concentrate, focus on making precise movements with your whole body, DONT" flop around sloppy cuz you're tired. At the end of that long workout you should be totally WIPED. Part of the point of it is to stretch your limits, make a bigger can to store all that energy and ability. BE SURE to rest totally a few days after--this is when your body is building all sorts of new muscle and circulatory tubes to deliver and suck and burn energy and be a monster. Be sure to EAT good to fuel the rebuilding with quality.

It doesn't take quite as much time as people think to build endurance--it's about smartly and truly stretching your limits and giving your body time to rebuild.

On the other hand old farts have learned from experience when to push it and when to cruise :)

(rah rah old farts, woo!)

I think it is combination of strength, will, and technique. When I ride, I rarely seem to get my heartrate up that high. If I do, I'm riding with poor technique. I try to ride as effeciently as I can. I stand up about 99% of the time and am always looking for the best lines to avoid the wasted effort. Finally at the end, having the will power to fight through the pain is a big asset. If I can focus 100% on my riding, I usually don't thin about pain.

As far as training, I either run 4 miles while holding 5lb weights in my hands or ride my bicycle for about 10+ miles of steep hills. (I live in the Sierra's) After that I usually go to the weight machine for a few minutes and focus on exercises that target my arms, shoulders, and core. I also do a few for my legs.

I think the main key is to ride enough to find your "groove." I know alot of fast riders that aren't in the best shape!

do some high rep workouts in the gym ride bike for cardio. do some xc mountain bikeing if you can and most importantly ride ride and ride. nothing will get you in better shape to ride your dirtbike then ridingyour dirtbike. Practice standing alot and dont sit down no matter how muhc your legs burn.

I am frustrated with this, I cycle or mountain bike 2-3 days/week for 1-2.5 hours and go to the gym doing a crossfit workout including lots of pullups, pushups, situps, back, squats, deadlifts,etc, I do this 1-3 days a week. I am 5 7' and weigh 158. I can mountain bike on very technical terrain and push for almost as long as I want. Now I got back into trail riding a couple of months ago and have an 06 250x and I can't ride more than about 40 mile and then I start really fatiguing, and by that I mean I begin to make lots of mistakes and have to rest to stay in control. What am I doing wrong. I don't know how I can train harder given my job schedule, but I want to be able to ride longer.:)