Sign in to follow this  

02 xr 80..lost the heat shield today!

My son and I rode today in Walker Valley ORV and his heat shield fell off. We retraced the whole ride but couldnt find it. Lots of mud and large puddles to lose it in. So far my searches only turn up aftermarket exhaust systems. My concern is if he crashes and that thing burns him he might not want to ride again. Gotta keep him confident and confortable until the riding bug bites him. So far he hasnt wanted to sleep with his dirtbike, ya i am trying to phaseout the xbox360!! I am tempted to buy the fmf system but it dosnt look like it has a heat shield. I am not really interested in making one. If you have the fmf exhaust.. is it worth it for the power gain?? Or if you have a stock system laying around and live near the seattle area would you want to sell it?

Ya i have considered it. Sometimes this kid is funny. The wrap might turn him off if it looks goofy. He is so new at this that he dosnt yet trust his machine.I am kinda walking a tight rope right now with this riding thing and the boy. I had the bug ever since I got to twist the throttle on a 50when I was 6 yrs old. Just looking for some ideas or experiences with this. If the fmf looks cool, sounds cool, has a heat shield i might go that way. A little psych thing...if its cool then he will feel cool riding and show off a little more..I found a oem part# and gonna call honda on tues. and see where and when it could could be had.

FMF sells a generic heat shield for their pipes for $35USD. I have access to a sheet metal shop at work though and i made one for my son's XR100R out of stainless and polished it with some steel wool. Came out pretty nice, once i found some stainless screws at Home Depot with a oversized flat head to mount it with. I'd check out ebay before i bought one from Honda though.