Sign in to follow this  

07 ktm 450 xc exhaust

I am looking to buy complete exhaust system with spark arrestor any suggestions ?

I am looking for better performance than the stock header & muffer

IMO.

Waste of money.

If the muffler has the restrictor pipe in it, remove it and your good to go.

Very little performance gain with a different muffler. Most likely will just make it louder.

A different header like the HT Racing. Basically moves the power to a different part of the RPM range. If you are looking for more low end torque, this may be worth it.

Otherwise, spend your money on suspension. Or a big bore kit if you really need more power.

If you need it mainly for the spark arester, see if you can find a used EXC muffler. Very good performance and not too loud.

+1 on the akra full system adds power low,mid,top I've ran this pipe set up on 450,510,540,576 cc with same gains & now have a akra header on a TR 570(555cc?)RFS SX engine I put into a 07 505SXF chassi (that i haven't riden yet,but soon) adapted to a stock 07sx can & also adapted leovince can I got off ebay for cheap other wise if I had cash flow would of just bought a akra can with sparky,The h-t gave a good gain in the low on a 525 I ran it on but took the top,I wanted to try the H-T on a 450sx I had but never got around to it,It might work better on a smaller cc/short stroke 450sx/450xc engine?

41.jpg

Thanks for the info guys think I will be looking for a akra header pipe.

Thats a slew of cash for a fairly minimal gain if any....

I would simply buy a take off SX450 muffler from a 07-08-09 SX450 and add a PMB sparky tip......Thats what I did in fact and combined with spot on jetting, reduced AP squirt and a set of powernows that bike ripped arse.

0454_1.jpg

Toss the headpipe bolt up the muffler. Mounts the same on a new SX as it does on yer' 4-fiddy EXC.

PIC01656.jpg

Add badass PMB arrested tip.

PIC01653.jpg

The view your buddies will have when you spend a measly $175.00 on this mod. And put the rest towards keeping the beast on the trail!!

Spend that Akra money on your suspension or a stabilizer and you would be faster than a guy on stock suspenders with an Akra pipe!!

hey L-vie,

when you say the restricter pipe, do you mean the bent pipe section inside the muffler at the rear part of the can? what length do you chop it off at? can you give me some details? i have the the pentagonal shape muffler p/n#770.05.081.000 on my 07 525 exc.

Thats a slew of cash for a fairly minimal gain if any....

I would simply buy a take off SX450 muffler from a 07-08-09 SX450 and add a PMB sparky tip......Thats what I did in fact and combined with spot on jetting, reduced AP squirt and a set of powernows that bike ripped arse.

0454_1.jpg

Toss the headpipe bolt up the muffler. Mounts the same on a new SX as it does on yer' 4-fiddy EXC.

PIC01656.jpg

Add badass PMB arrested tip.

PIC01653.jpg

The view your buddies will have when you spend a measly $175.00 on this mod. And put the rest towards keeping the beast on the trail!!

Spend that Akra money on your suspension or a stabilizer and you would be faster than a guy on stock suspenders with an Akra pipe!!

How did u get that for $175? Ktmtalk is chargin $357 just for the silencer and that doesn't even include the spark arrestor or header. Does the 08-09 model silencer bolt right up to the 07 450-525 EXC's? How much of a change did u have to do to get the jetting right?

How did u get that for $175? Ktmtalk is chargin $357 just for the silencer and that doesn't even include the spark arrestor or header. Does the 08-09 model silencer bolt right up to the 07 450-525 EXC's? How much of a change did u have to do to get the jetting right?

My bad. I should have explained better.

There are loads of the black can non spark arrrested OEM take off muffs out there on KTM talks classifieds and E-Bay. They typecally sell for less than $100.00 I got mine brand new guy took it off and ran an Akra or something for $50.00

The PMB endcap is 125.00

You could even post a wanted to buy ad right here on TT and probably find one dirt cheap.

The 07-08-09 Black can SX/XC muffs will bolt directly on the 04-07 EXC/XC-W's withouts any mods required.

After adding the PMB tip I changed my clip position on my needle by one going a tad richer and adjsuted my A/S accordingly. This mod is a immediate seat of the pants gain and when ran with both powernows, 13-50 gearing on the 07' EXC and a shortened duration AP squirt your bike will feel like the open class monster you thought it was when you bought it!!!

The long AP squirt combined with the lean EPA friendly stock jetting and uber tall land speed record stock gearing makes an out of the box KTM 525 EXC a mellow sluggish bike.

Simply changing the AP squirt, jetting and gearing is the single largest impact mod you can do to the performance of your 525.

Ironically in my quest for a snappy trail bike I went overboard and after all my mods were done and I had everything just right?

The bike was too much for our tight Colorado trails. It was just too fast. Too brutal. Too hard to stay on the trail!!! It was an open class desert racer that was just too big for me on the slippery rock strwen Colorado trails.

I sold it and bought a comparitively mellow 08' 300 which I have done mainly suspension and asthetic mods on. It isnt even in the same league of TQ and Power delivery as my 525. That bike was a true beast. Would simply wheelie up and over anything without much effort or thought. Like a piece of eartmoving equipment!!! This would become a hindrance later in the day as the throttle reponse was so immediate that I found myself crashing, overshooting corners, looping on rocky climbs and just plain getting wore out.

I wish I could buy that bike back though.:banghead:

After adding the PMB tip I changed my clip position on my needle by one going a tad richer and adjsuted my A/S accordingly. This mod is a immediate seat of the pants gain and when ran with both powernows, 13-50 gearing on the 07' EXC and a shortened duration AP squirt your bike will feel like the open class monster you thought it was when you bought it!!!

Mine is an 07 450 EXC, with this mod did u lose a lot of tractability in the loose trails? Also, what did you mean by adjusting the A/S accordingly?

Mine is an 07 450 EXC, with this mod did u lose a lot of tractability in the loose trails? Also, what did you mean by adjusting the A/S accordingly?

AS = Air Screw or Fuel mixture screw

It makes the bike snappier and harder hitting off the bottom. Keep in mind that the 525 comes off idle differently than the 450. My 525 prior to working with the carb and stuff was a bit lazy off idle and being a heavy bike keeping the front end light and wheelie-ing through and over rocks and roots with quick snaps of throttle made it more fun to ride and less tiring.

The RFS motor will loose tractability and just plain hit harder and faster when the sloppy rich AP squirt is addressed and shortened regardless of muffler choice!

what is the standard ap settings and how much should it be leaned off by?