Sign in to follow this  

How often should I change the oil on my TW200?

Well I had the oil changed at 600 miles and now I have almost 1700 miles on my TW200. Should I change it again soon? It has been about 4 months. I ride mostly on the street but I did hit the trails today so I rode through some dust. If I remember right the manual says first oil change at 600 then at 4000, 7000, 10000 and so on. That just seems like way to many miles between oil changes. Does anyone agree? What does everybody else do?

Thanks

on a tw200 you would be lucky to put 3000 miles a year on, so my advice is just change it once a year. run a good quality oil,(shell,mobil,texico,kendall, are my preferancs), synthetics arent at all necessary (unless you happen to be in the artic) BTW, you already have the brake in handled.

Thanks a lot for the reply but why does everybody say its just a tw200 you wont ride that much. I bought it about 5 months ago but have only had about 3months of decent riding weather because I do live in Colorado. It had 100 miles on it when I got it so I have put 1600 miles on it. So unless I slow down on riding it (unlikely) I will put over 6000 miles on it in a year. I know the tw is a small bike but it does deserve more respect that it gets.

thanks again

Thanks a lot for the reply but why does everybody say its just a tw200 you wont ride that much. I bought it about 5 months ago but have only had about 3months of decent riding weather because I do live in Colorado. It had 100 miles on it when I got it so I have put 1600 miles on it. So unless I slow down on riding it (unlikely) I will put over 6000 miles on it in a year. I know the tw is a small bike but it does deserve more respect that it gets.

thanks again

not a pun, i just know the reality of most 200cc street and trails. so change your oil twice this year,,,:)

i always wanted to ride one of those tw2's but never had the chance,, there place in the whirled seems to be snow and icy conditions with studded tires. theres a midwinter ride somewhere in the northeast it seems. those tw2's were/are ?, the bike to be on. :banghead:

i was told 600 miles for a dual sport

probably not that far out of line if mostly offroad, but onroad i say major overkill.

maintenance done properly, should be minimal to get the desired results (eg minimal engine wear) and can go either way from published recomendations,application is everything.

not a pun, i just know the reality of most 200cc street and trails. so change your oil twice this year,,,:)

i always wanted to ride one of those tw2's but never had the chance,, there place in the whirled seems to be snow and icy conditions with studded tires. theres a midwinter ride somewhere in the northeast it seems. those tw2's were/are ?, the bike to be on. :banghead:

I love mine. If you ever have the chance to ride one I highly recommend trying it out. I had mine to 70MPH today and even though I won't make a habit out of going that fast it felt more stable than I was expecting. I just wish it had a little more top end and a little more low end torque. Maybe some day I will put a 400cc engine in it and make it really run:)

All manufacturers have a vested interest in presenting their bikes as being "low maintenance". So, the oil change intervals in the owner's manual are based on "ideal condition"....that are really unrealistic under real world conditions.

While the little TW isn't going to be very hard on its oil, it is best to change oil quite a bit more often than any owner's manual recommends!

I change my oil @ 300-400 miles if in the dirt and about 1000miles if all street.

If I have a mix of dirt and street I change it somewhere in between.

While the little TW isn't going to be very hard on its oil, it is best to change oil quite a bit more often than any owner's manual recommends!

Well I have heard air cooled engines are a lot harder on oil than water cooled engines because they run a lot hotter, and it just bakes the oil over time.

Also what kind of oil should I use? I think the manual says 20w 40 but I thought I read they they don't make that oil any more. I had the dealer do the first oil change and I think they used 10w 40. Is that what I should be using?

thanks