Sign in to follow this  

Whats it worth?

Looking to get some input on the value of my old hare scrambles bike. I originally built it in 1989, then redid it again in 2005. The lastest rebuild uses the motor from a 1991 XR600R with fresh rebuild, rear wheel and disc brake from the same 1991 XR600R. Forks from a 1991 CR250. Bike has less than 5 miles on it since the rebuild.

It is a 1990 model ATK XR conversion kit, uses ATK frame, swing arm, and body work, with XR wheels forks and motor.

Here's a few pics:

XRATKLiftPics018.jpg

XRATKLiftPics019.jpg

XRATKLiftPics001.jpg

that is cool as hell.

Wouldn't know where to begin on pricing it though. A seat of the pants guess says something like $2500-$2800. I'm sure someone will be along to explain why I'm so far off

:)

"SWEEEEETTTT!" That thing looks straight up Hot Rod! Wierd how the chain is routed though? Definately one of a kind, any issues at all with this conversion? Almost wouldnt know what to recommend on something like this, price wise?

Holy chit is that ever nice,i`m freeking drooling all over myself..wow.

No bloody idea on value,love the colors used on the motor...very clean machine...

I`d better go before i lose control:smirk: :)

B

that is cool as hell.

Wouldn't know where to begin on pricing it though. A seat of the pants guess says something like $2500-$2800. I'm sure someone will be along to explain why I'm so far off

:)

Thanks for the compliment and the reply.

It is a hard one to tag a value on, at one time I had it plated here in Michigan, it's titled as a "assembled" bike. I thought I would always keep it, but I just don't have the room.

That Handy lift table is also going, as is my 1988 XR 250. The forks from the 86 XR6, the forks from the 91 XR6, the motor from the 86 XR6, the wheels from the 86 XR6 and the frame from the 91 XR6. It's all going.

"SWEEEEETTTT!" That thing looks straight up Hot Rod! Wierd how the chain is routed though? Definately one of a kind, any issues at all with this conversion? Almost wouldnt know what to recommend on something like this, price wise?

That chain routing was how ATK started, it is designed to transfer the torque of the chain to the frame, rather than squat the rear suspension under acceleration. The only issue is clutch cable routing, it is a little close to the header.

Thanks for the compliment and the reply.

It is a hard one to tag a value on, at one time I had it plated here in Michigan, it's titled as a "assembled" bike. I thought I would always keep it, but I just don't have the room.

That Handy lift table is also going, as is my 1988 XR 250. The forks from the 86 XR6, the forks from the 91 XR6, the motor from the 86 XR6, the wheels from the 86 XR6 and the frame from the 91 XR6. It's all going.

What is the idea behind the ATK conversion,is it supposed to be more durable,better for racing,excuse my ignorance but i`ve never heard of this before...i`d give you a decent buck for it but you`d be shipping it a long way:bonk:

B

What is the idea behind the ATK conversion,is it supposed to be more durable,better for racing,excuse my ignorance but i`ve never heard of this before...i`d give you a decent buck for it but you`d be shipping it a long way:bonk:

B

ATK billed the conversion as a way to shave 38lbs off of your XR, and make it handle like a CR250. The frame geometry, and steering head angle are like a CR. Having said all of that, seat of the pants riding feel, is a much more stable, solid feel.

I started racing Hare scrambles when the bike was still an XR, the only additions to it were heavier springs, front and rear, and a SuperTrapp. When riding the bike hard into a turn I would feel like I needed to pick a line, and hold on tight. After the conversion, same speeds, same turns, I could change lines, mid turn if I wanted to. Bike is lighter and much more rigid / stable.

ATK billed the conversion as a way to shave 38lbs off of your XR, and make it handle like a CR250. The frame geometry, and steering head angle are like a CR. Having said all of that, seat of the pants riding feel, is a much more stable, solid feel.

I started racing Hare scrambles when the bike was still an XR, the only additions to it were heavier springs, front and rear, and a SuperTrapp. When riding the bike hard into a turn I would feel like I needed to pick a line, and hold on tight. After the conversion, same speeds, same turns, I could change lines, mid turn if I wanted to. Bike is lighter and much more rigid / stable.

Cool:thumbsup:

Shaving off 38 pounds is really nice,as is the better handling...thanks for the answer...:)

B

There couldnt be more than a handfull of these left. Keep it till you get some good money for it im guessing $3000 minimum. just my opinion. and what does this bike weight now?

There couldnt be more than a handfull of these left. Keep it till you get some good money for it im guessing $3000 minimum. just my opinion. and what does this bike weight now?

Yeah, the last time I spoke with ATK, they said there were like 38 of these kits sold. When I originally built the bike, it weighed something like 243lbs, if IRC.

Thanks for all of the value estimates, they are all higher than I was thinking. If I could get over 2K for it I would be happy. I'll put it on the big internet garage sale, and see what happens.

Thanks again for all the replies.

What was the kit selling for when you got it?

I have a friends XR675 big bore engine sitting in my garage. Other than being electric start it is the same set up. Would be one hell of a bike if I could still get the kit and dual sport it.

What was the kit selling for when you got it?

Kit was like $2,400.00, when I bought it, back in 1989.

I have to admit it's pretty cool and all especially with only 38 of the kits sold, but you may be waiting for quite some time if your trying to find the one guy that either likes the rare, or wants the reduced weight and is willing to pay for it for an old bike. You will probably have to price it just a little more than or equal to an XR600 of similar age if your serious about selling it. To me a bike like that is awesome but finding parts for it in the future will make it not worth it and I would be better off finding a regular XR600, that is if I was in the market. I'd have to say/guess that 2K is the top of what you could expect in any reasonable amount of time. Good luck.

You mention heavier springs...what type of rider is it set up for?

You mention heavier springs...what type of rider is it set up for?

The front forks, from the CR250, have not been resprung. The White Power shock on the rear is set for a 215lb rider.

How much oil does the system hold?

Same as an XR6, If I remember correctly, it was like just under three quarts.

Howdy. I just got a 1990 ATK XR 600 kit bike. The engine was made by Al Baker racing, with the added extended aluminum cooling fins, and has whites upside down forks.The carburetor is a mikuni with an electric fuel pump.It has a front disc, rear drum braking. The exhaust is a Al Baker header with a FMF big bore exhaust.The bike is super clean and has a fresh motor. I will photograph some pictures of it today when I take it to Laughlin, Nv. for a ride

This sucker is hard to start, does anyone have any tips on on starting this beast?  I am also curious what it is worth. If I can't start it regularly, I will sell it.

Here's a couple pics of the bike. I did get it started, but it was a lot of kicking. It rode great.

DSC_0637.JPG

DSC_0638.JPG

• Like 1