Sign in to follow this  

New '09 DR650's hard to find?

The local Suzuki dealer closed to the bad economic times. I've been wanting to look over a new DR650 and thought I found one 30 miles away. I contacted the dealer last week and learned they had one, but it was "crated up". Well, was bored today and made the road trip to look over the rest of their stock.

I wanted to size up the DR650 to see how it fit me. I'm 5'9" and tired of having to climb up my DR250S. Looking for something a little shorter and with more power. I figured I'd sit on a DRz, or a LKR and see how they fit. Damn, next thing I know, it's feeding time at the dealer, and I'm the food.

Short version: The dealer found "one" '09 DR650 crated up in a warehouse. It was not allocated to the dealer, so they couldn't build it up without a refundable deposit. They acted like the DR650's are rare and hard to get, and they were competing against other dealers in the state to get this one. I didn't want to leave a deposit unless I knew the OTD price. That quickly turned into the sales guys wanting me to fill out paper work. 1) I wasn't gonna to outright purchase a bike sight unseen 2) I use my credit union for financing. So, no paperwork was done.

The deal seemed to fall apart, yet I left with a firm price quote, no deposit, and the bike will be built up this coming week at the dealership. They are counting this as a sell too? I'll be in touch Tuesday to see how things are going, and hope to throw a leg over the bike next week. Hoping things go well, the bike fits, and the deal works out.

I wanted to size up the DR650 to see how it fit me. I'm 5'9" and tired of having to climb up my DR250S. Looking for something a little shorter and with more power.

Am I missing something here or do Americans just have short legs? :)

The DR650 is a midget bike, most people 5"6 or over ride MX'ers without any problem??

The DR650's aren't rare, but why do you have to go new? if you really want shiny IMO it'd be much better to get something near new say an 06-08 model in immaculate condition for 1-2k off, spend that on farkling and financially you'll be in the same position, but have a much nicer bike for it

P.S. in case you didn't know 1996-2009 DR650's are all the same bike

Am I missing something here or do Americans just have short legs? :)

The DR650 is a midget bike, most people 5"6 or over ride MX'ers without any problem??

Yeah, I have short legs and am looking for a bike that I can easily mount. Any seat height over 33" is a challenge to mount flat off the ground. My DR250S has a 36" seat and I have to climb up the foot peg before I throw a leg over. Not always the easiest thing to do in dirt conditions.

The DR650's aren't rare, but why do you have to go new? if you really want shiny IMO it'd be much better to get something near new say an 06-08 model in immaculate condition for 1-2k off, spend that on farkling and financially you'll be in the same position, but have a much nicer bike for it

Been looking the past few months at the used bike market. Not much out there, and the nice stuff goes quick. I have the means, so buying new is not a real big deal. Its my way of "stimulating" the economy.

I am in Sacramento and the dealers have both colors on the floor.

Thanks. I mentioned this to the dealer, but wasn't really sure if they were in stock. Basically told them I'm already driving 30 miles, whats another 100 to find a dealer with some in stock.

Yeah, I have short legs and am looking for a bike that I can easily mount. Any seat height over 33" is a challenge to mount flat off the ground. My DR250S has a 36" seat and I have to climb up the foot peg before I throw a leg over. Not always the easiest thing to do in dirt conditions.

Been looking the past few months at the used bike market. Not much out there, and the nice stuff goes quick. I have the means, so buying new is not a real big deal. Its my way of "stimulating" the economy.

Lean against a rock, tree, fence, etc. Then climb up the footpeg. Shave the seat. Barring that, drop the forks in the clamps and get a lowering link.

DR650s are all over the place used. Try www.jaxed.com and search "the mash".

• Like 1

Thanks for the jaxed.com info. Didn't know about that and will use it in the future.

Well, the dealer had the bike in-stock today. Couldn't help myself, and ended up making the deal. Won't be able to get the bike home until this weekend.

Had to use the foot-peg to get a leg over. Once I get used the bike, I may be able to throw a leg over on flat ground. I was worried I'd kick a rear turn light out today. Had to clown it up for the salesman. He told me the DR650 had the same seat height as a DR200 (I knew better). After a few attempts to mount the bike on flat ground (with bad acting thrown in), I used the foot-peg method to mount the bike. I guess the salesguy isn't used to seeing short fat guys mount bikes that way, cause his eyes bugged out when I did. I was hoping to get a freebie thrown in cause he was wrong about the seat height. It almost backfired, as he offered to have the suspension lowered for me.

Anyway, time to put the little '90 DR250S up for sale.

Had to use the foot-peg to get a leg over

no offense intended but if your 5"9 how is that even possible? I'm 6" and I can flat foot my 650 and its been jacked UP