Sign in to follow this  

Desert Racing a 450R?

Hey guys, I've just started desert racing on an XR650R and can't help but wish it was a lighter bike. I've been kicking around the idea of getting a used CRF450R and trying it, mainly because I think I could handle the weight for a longer period of time vs. a 450X. Do any of you guys race desert on one? How do you like it? Any supension mods necessary for desert vs. mx? I've read in this forum that '05 and newer are better bikes. Any info would be appreciated.

yeah, most guys change the gearing for higher speed...although i race mine stock gearing 13/50, of course dez tank

I race an '05 R with all the goodies on it. I love the bike but I think there are better choices out there than the R for desert racing, with smoother power and more forgiving suspension. Can't say I haven't had a blast with her the last five years though!

Hey guys, I've just started desert racing on an XR650R and can't help but wish it was a lighter bike. I've been kicking around the idea of getting a used CRF450R and trying it, mainly because I think I could handle the weight for a longer period of time vs. a 450X. Do any of you guys race desert on one? How do you like it? Any supension mods necessary for desert vs. mx? I've read in this forum that '05 and newer are better bikes. Any info would be appreciated.

I'm building an '09 R WORKS desert racer right now and will probably be putting up a build on here. Our first race with it will be the Vegas to Reno in August. It will see 100mph+ all day long.

I race an 05 450r in district 37. It definately took me some time to get it dialed in but am really happy with how the bike handles in the desert. I have a 3 gal tank, heavier flywheel, gpr stabalizer,18inch rear wheel, skidplate,radiator guards,14/48 or 14/49 gearing,and had suspension set up from ESP.

I pre-run SCORE races on my 07 R. Other than Pro-Tec suspension and 14/48 gearing, it's stock. The 07 motor has loads of power everywhere, and is stable at speed. I don't have a need to run a stabilizer once I dialed in the sag.

While I'm not an experienced dez racer, I have run mine thru the dez twice and it was great. I added a Rekluse between the first and second times and it's nearly magic. The FI is slicker than snot too.

I'm much more into moto than dez and I like the 250F better for moto and I'm done switching between 250F & 450s. If you get serious about it and want to save some $ by buying "used", PM me and we can discuss further.

I rode a 450R back in '01 and thought it was pretty powerful, but didn't get a really good burn in on it to see how it handled. I've never ridden a 450X and wonder if you all think it might be a better choice for the dez..? I honestly don't know much about either bike (I've been in big XR land for awhile). I know a new 450X weighs around 270 wet, what does an R generally weigh? I guess I'm kind of hooked on the weight thing which makes me interested in the R.

Just to clarify, I am new to desert racing and have run 2 races this year, the last being a 110 miler consisting of alot of whoops and sand washes (which is pretty consistent with the series). I guess this is why I think a lighter, snappier bike would do a little better for me. Oh, and I'm pretty stuck on Hondas. :)

I've got an 05 450R that I'm setting up for the 2010 Vegas To Reno. I raced the event with a 3 man in 2008 on an XR650, this time I want to solo it.

I'm running the 450R over the 450X mainly because I already have the 450R.

As far as specific mods to make it better in the event here's a list:

1. Suspension - http://www.factoryconnection.com/index2.htm Been using these guys since 1999.

2. Gearing - Stock front Sprocket, (whatever the size) and 46 rear for some higher end terminal velocity. Drag bike peened on Race chain.

3. Ascerbis Skid plate, big plastic one.

4. Tusk d-flex bar end protectors.

5. 4 gallon IMS gas tank

6. Tubliss Core Tire System - Instead of a Sh*^t Mousse bib.

7. Dunlop 739 Rear, Something like a 742 tread pattern front don't remember all the models offhand.

8. Get the stator replaced with on for lights. Buy a big ass light.

9. Jetting mod like so: http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=757036&highlight=vegas+to+reno

10. etc.

Pros:

a. I've owned this bike for 4 years. Its going to cost about $2200.00 to race spec it from MX to suitable for the V2R. If I bought another X model I'd have the cost of that plus $1500. for a good deal of the aformentioned doo-dads.

b. I'm used to this bike, the suspension is dialed like I like it, it starts way easier than an XR650, handles better.

Cons:

a. It has a close ration Transmission. It runs out of gear on fast stuff and then you have to rev the motor more. (hence the 46 tooth rear)

b. Has to be rigged for lights. This is costly.

c. Last but NOT least, the Air filter takes a lot longer and more care to replace, than the X, and on a long Race you'll have to replace the air filter.

That's about it.

Thanks for all the info. I love the 650R, but I think a 450R might serve the purpose for me a little better. I'll be keeping an eye open for an older one I think. Thanks again!

I don't race but I ride the desert alot. I have a 450R but have ridden my cousin's 650. The 650 is really fast and smooth (like a Cadillac) but the front wheel isn't easy to get off the ground. I like my 450 because of the snap off the throttle. If something pops up unexpectedly, like they do they do in the desert, on the 450 a little more gas gets the front up it. On the 650 you plow through it.

I run a 18" rear wheel, IMS tank, heavier flywheel, 14 tooth front sprocket

maybe i am a spoiled brat (hardly at the my age) but i have the best of both worlds. i have an 05 450x setup for offroad and leave my 09 450r set up for MX. I absolutely hate my R on higher speed off road stuff! i would have to totally change my settings every time I go from mx to off road that i would go nuts doing this everytime! that and my x is all setup with killer lights for night races with a trail tech HID setup.:thumbsup: But honestly if you plan on setting up an R for off road ONLY then you can make them work fantastic since it is noticably lighter than the X. if you want to use the R for motocross AND off road you better get good at keeping your settings seperate.

maybe i am a spoiled brat (hardly at the my age) but i have the best of both worlds. i have an 05 450x setup for offroad and leave my 09 450r set up for MX. I absolutely hate my R on higher speed off road stuff! i would have to totally change my settings every time I go from mx to off road that i would go nuts doing this everytime! that and my x is all setup with killer lights for night races with a trail tech HID setup.:thumbsup: But honestly if you plan on setting up an R for off road ONLY then you can make them work fantastic since it is noticably lighter than the X. if you want to use the R for motocross AND off road you better get good at keeping your settings seperate.

Can you make a stock R suspension work really well offroad without having to revalve?

you could probably make it better but I doubt that it would ever be really good without changing springs and/or valving. I haven't tried that much with my 09 R cuz I have my 05 X that is set up great. Next week, Dave at MRD is gonna get my order for a new pipe on the X which will make it even better for the desert stuff.:thumbsup:

I have an R and an X. Once you get both set up for the desert, you may just be as surprised as I was. The 450R now sits at home while I ride the wheels off my X!

I have an R and an X. Once you get both set up for the desert, you may just be as surprised as I was. The 450R now sits at home while I ride the wheels off my X!

Why? Can you compare and contrast?

I was pretty happy with my 05 R in the desert but got a great deal on an X, so I bought it. I still haven't gotten the suspension done on the X but I immediately noticed some differences that made me wonder why more people dont purchase the X. My R has had the suspension set up for desert with a Prociruit set up. It works well. I run 14/47 gearing on it. There are places here that require a lower first gear but I just cant gear it lower and be happy. There are also faster places that make me want even taller gearing so I stick with the 14/47. Once I got the X, I immediately went back home and installed a 14 tooth countershaft sprocket and a 48 rear. The X now allows me to go all the places I like to go and the gearing is perfect.

I put an 18 inch rear wheel on my R. The X already has one. The X has a DRD exhaust, JD jetting kit, airbox mod and the pink wire mod. I thought about putting an R cam in but after taking both bikes and doing the same 11 mile loop over and over again, I didn't want to chance loosing the awesome bottom end pull that the X has. It is so forgiving. It doesnt seem to care if you are a gear high. It just pulls! I have a 3.4 IMS tank on my R but I think I am going to stick with the stock tank on the X. It easily does the 60 mile loops I run here. A stock tank on an R will leave you stranded a long way from where you started.

Another thing I noticed was the flwheel weight. My R has the stock set up and sometimes while climbing a big sand hill with a rock ledge in the R will just die after hitting the rock ledge and landing back in the sand. It will stall if you dont grab the clutch. Once you know it is prone to doing it, you can correct and make it fine but it does stall much much easier than the X. I actually haven't been able to force the X to stall anywhere. This makes braking easier. So what do I like better about the R? I like the turning better but the X never shakes. I run a Scotts Stabilizer on both bikes but unless I turn the stabilizer up to a spot that that makes it harder in the tight stuff, it will ocassionally give a shudder in certain places. So many people here never even consider buying an X. They just buy an R and add all the stuff I have on my R. Both bikes are great but I like the transmission, the low end power, the flywheel and overall performance the X gives. I can feel a little bit weight difference but I am just happier with the X. :thumbsup:

Good comparison on the two bikes. It's good to hear from somebody who has both and rides both. :thumbsup:

K,

Are you using the IMS thank for the X model? its the only one listed at 4 gallons. The price is good also, I'm thinking of doing it. Also, how do you wire for a head light. I was thinking of using the stock X headlight, unless aftermarket is better.

IMS also has a 3.2 gallon gas tank for the X and the R. Parts Unlimited and Tucker Rocky list them in the catalogs. I dont have a headlight on my R but use the stock headlight on the X. I use a Wixtech super zeon headlight bulb in the stock headlight. Its much brighter than the stock bulb. Wixtech makes super bright bulbs that are awesome! Call Baja Designs if you want something better.