Sign in to follow this  

Got the Edelbrock in!

Finish putting in the new accelerator pump in the Edelbrock today. Installed it and man what a difference. so much pull! i was doing throttle wheelies in third. didn't have enough room for fourth. :)

going riding tomorrow so we will see how it does.

How many clicks out on the needle do you guys normally run it at? I have it set at 12 and it seams about right.

Just wanted to say congrats on the Eddy. Mine was preset from Barnum's Pro & it performs so well that I haven't bothered checking needle position or anything else. Anyway, I think you're going to love what this carb does for you. :)

Just wanted to say congrats on the Eddy. Mine was preset from Barnum's Pro & it performs so well that I haven't bothered checking needle position or anything else. Anyway, I think you're going to love what this carb does for you. :)

Well i didn't get to ride it, but i was able to get it set up right. easily pulls the front wheel in 3rd gear. starts pretty good too. better than the stock one. can't wait to get out and really see what she can do.

Finish putting in the new accelerator pump in the Edelbrock today. Installed it and man what a difference. so much pull! i was doing throttle wheelies in third. didn't have enough room for fourth. :)

going riding tomorrow so we will see how it does.

How many clicks out on the needle do you guys normally run it at? I have it set at 12 and it seams about right.

so why did you choose the eddy over the mikuni conversion? price or performance? did you buy a complete kit or did you have to machine any parts? i saw the eddy on ebay for like 380 and to be honest i think the xrsonly kit seems to be the most efficient way to go.. if otherwise i am all ears!!!!

thanks daryl

won't get to test today probably, weird washington weather going down right now.

I hear ya! I was able to get a very short road ride in today in the few minutes the roads were semi dry and it wasn't raining or hailing or sleeting or snowing like the rest of the day.

What gearing do you have?

so why did you choose the eddy over the mikuni conversion? price or performance? did you buy a complete kit or did you have to machine any parts? i saw the eddy on ebay for like 380 and to be honest i think the xrsonly kit seems to be the most efficient way to go.. if otherwise i am all ears!!!!

thanks daryl

I had the eddy already. it came with bike but it was setup right and ran pretty bad. turns out the accelerator pump was bent. I threw the on the stock one and it worked great for a long time. my dad got a mikuni and it gave me incentive to get mine working. through a new accelerator pump on it and it works fantastic. can't wait to get it in the woods.

I hear ya! I was able to get a very short road ride in today in the few minutes the roads were semi dry and it wasn't raining or hailing or sleeting or snowing like the rest of the day.

What gearing do you have?

We were going to go up to Walker Valley but we have been up there with 50 mph winds before and i don't care much for carrying my bike over trees. :)

I have 15/45 gearing right now. I think i am going to go to a 14/45 combo, but i will wait to see how the carb deals with the stock gearing. the accelerator pump might help it go slower while still being able to whack the throttle when I need it. I will post what i find.

. easily pulls the front wheel in 3rd gear. .

can you post vids of this please?

can you post vids of this please?

I just rejetted my stock carb and with stock gearing I can loft the wheel in 3rd pretty easy. I imagine with either the Mikuni or Edelbrock it should wheely just fine.

I just rejetted my stock carb and with stock gearing I can loft the wheel in 3rd pretty easy. I imagine with either the Mikuni or Edelbrock it should wheely just fine.

yeah it is really pretty easy. I haven't had enough room to try any higher gears. I will be riding it this weekend hopefully in the woods and will really know how it works. I will also be gearing it down a tooth in the front to help with the single track and allow me to use more gears with less speed.

ok well ive said it before and ill say it again post video's of a 3rd gear roll on wheelie. i had a really clean gordon modded xr400 with a pipe and edlebrock on it for years. a guy i rhode with sometimes had xr416 with a mikuni on it both bikes running 14/45 gearing and idle set to 1,500 and neither of them had even close to enough power to pull the front tire up in 3rd off the throttle. and it wasnt not a tuning issue. ive riden about 5 or 6 other xr400's and NONE of them had this kind of power. i just dont get it

ive riden about 5 or 6 other xr400's and NONE of them had this kind of power. i just dont get it

It's definitely not just power, a little timing and technique too. I'm supposedly going riding this weekend if it doesn't blizzard I'll take some videos then.

ok well ive said it before and ill say it again post video's of a 3rd gear roll on wheelie. i had a really clean gordon modded xr400 with a pipe and edlebrock on it for years. a guy i rhode with sometimes had xr416 with a mikuni on it both bikes running 14/45 gearing and idle set to 1,500 and neither of them had even close to enough power to pull the front tire up in 3rd off the throttle. and it wasnt not a tuning issue. ive riden about 5 or 6 other xr400's and NONE of them had this kind of power. i just dont get it

wow. I had no idea. my bike has always felt a little peppier than my dad's but i didn't think it was out of the ordinary. and I don't think there are any internal changes like a high compression piston or anything. I swear i am just pulling back just a little bit and nailing the throttle and it lifts the tire. I was surprised too. But even with my stock carb with 162/62 jets i was able to pull it up sometimes, but not like this. I had gotten the old carb to have very little bog. I was very happy with myself. It still coughed every once and a while but it was better than my dad's. My dad just got a mikuni for his xr4 and his starts a little better than mine, but i don't know how they will compare power wise.

Here are my mods that i have done to the engine.

Stock gearing 15/45 I will try to get the video with stock gearing, but I will be going to 14/45 gearing hear shortly.

-Snorkel out, prefilter in it's place

-twin air filter on a stock cage

-Edelbrock Pumper Carb, with 15E Needle 12 clicks from rick and 2.5 from rich on the pump circuit.

-ground header welds

-xr's only round disc exhaust 12 discs, soon to have a turndown tip and a quiet core.

-spark plug resister mod

-If it matters, Mobil one 10w-40 synthetic motorcycle oil.

in the 4 years that i have had the bike, the valves have made no noise and have showed no signs of wear (never have had to adjust them, I have checked)

Has good compression. Always has ran good. Never had a problem with it. That's why I like it so much. Last year i was in race, I DNF, but it was fun for about 2 minutes. lol ANyway, it was a shotgun start, I kicked it once, she fired off, i nailed it and i was tied for the hole shot until someone put me into a tree. It was in B class riders on yz250s, crf 450's and the liking. I don't know but it just has the torque to just go. I love my bike through and through. I will try and get a video for you Pete.

its not like i cant ride a wheelie...but no way in hell could my xr400 ever pick the front tire up like that. the only way my bike or any other xr400's ive been on ever picked up the front tire in 3rd is was with some serious revs and a serious clutch drop.

l_3817f639f2769102db3f1e2aeef59958.jpg

So i put on the new end cap and quiet core and it grabbed quite of bit of power. still makes more than it did but not enough to pull the wheel in the third very high. if i take the quiet core out, it wouldn't be a problem. We are going on sunday so i will be experimenting with carb settings and figuring how to ride my bike now that it has really been opened up a bit.

I myself am eager to see some footage on what people say will lift in 3rd just by throttle.

Im in the same boat as the guys who CANNOT lift its in 3rd for the life of me... hell 2nd is even a task

I Am not doubting you i just want to see some footage to see if i am doing anything wrong

I myself am eager to see some footage on what people say will lift in 3rd just by throttle.

Im in the same boat as the guys who CANNOT lift its in 3rd for the life of me... hell 2nd is even a task

I Am not doubting you i just want to see some footage to see if i am doing anything wrong

well like i said above, third is a challenge now with the quiet core, but i should be able to pull that and get a bit of power back. I am still getting used to it. I will try and get a video up within the week not just for you guys, but also to prove that i can still do it. :thumbsup:

Ok, Went riding this past weekend and got to play with the new to me bike and the new Helmet cam. Had a blast riding even though I did crash pretty hard at the end of the day. Here is my psuedo-wheelie video and crash video:

See me Wheelie:

See me Crash:

I took about a little less than an hour of video. I'll post some more if any of it is interesting. Still trying to figure out the best settings for the cam and YouTube.