Sign in to follow this  

yz250 move-up

hi, i am currently on a 85 and wondering if i would be able to handle a 250 2-smoke. i know i will not get a new bike for a year or more, so i am sure to grow. right now i and 5'5" and about 120lb. do you think i will be able to move from a mod 85 to a 250 2-smoke? or would a bored out 125 do me just as good? i race motocross, so any comments would be great!

a 125 will be PLENTY. From an 85 to a 250 2 stroke is a huge jump. Especially at your hieght and weight, that bike would quite frankly throw you around like a rag doll.

A 125 would be better suited IMO.

A 250 2 stroke requires lots of throttle control, and that bike will have HYPER SPACE compared to what your on now.

i agree. i raced a crf250r for nearly five years, just got a 250 two stroke and it can be a handful.

a 125 will be much better suited to you.

a 250 will be too much power and the suspension will be way off to match.

find an 06-> yz125, you will be happy.:)

I think it just depends on who you are really. My buddy is 5'-5" 130 lbs and his first ever dirtbike is a RM250. He whiped out a couple times at first getting the hang of it, but now he's fine. I figure it's just about your ability, and maturity...

i would go for a 125, they so much fun its ridiculous.

I'm all for seeing "kids" hand it to older/stronger riders while on a YZ250 but for 99% of the time a 125 would fit the bill even better. Yeah, you see 11 year olds riding their dad's YZ450F pretty good around the desert but for actual hard racing for more than 10 minutes without stopping a YZ250 could be a bit much.

i have to agree. Ive been riding my yz250 for almost 2 seasons now and i still get more tired at the mx track if i put in some hard laps compared to my old 125.

a 125 will be PLENTY. From an 85 to a 250 2 stroke is a huge jump. Especially at your hieght and weight, that bike would quite frankly throw you around like a rag doll.

A 125 would be better suited IMO.

A 250 2 stroke requires lots of throttle control, and that bike will have HYPER SPACE compared to what your on now.

You shoulda seen me at 14 (same height/weight as OP) riding my step brother's RM465!

It had LUDICROUS SPEED with me on it.

I personally ride a 125, and love it, but if your a good rider, and are growing why not get a 250?! I am not growing any more, and like my 125, but I find I'm needing more then my 125 can give me, and I don't want to kill it by wringing it out all the time. I suggest you give a 125, and a 250 a try, and see what you like.

I went from a 85 to a 250 and im 5'7'' and 115 lbs and it was a great decision

I just don't know why you'd wanna pass up the 125.

A 125 is the most fun it is possible to have on a motorcycle. You are already used to using the clutch to build rpms, and the 125 is the next step in the natural progression of motocross.

I am 5'11" 180lbs and I have a hard time with a 250. I ride a 125 because it is lightweight, has great power, is super easy to handle in the air, and is just plain more fun than a 250.

A 125 is the most fun it is possible to have on a motorcycle. You are already used to using the clutch to build rpms, and the 125 is the next step in the natural progression of motocross.

All correct, but it really depends on what kind of person you are...some people like the rush that the 250 gives. That's why I suggest giving them both a try...

No one has really mentioned the learning curve.. There is so much technique to be learned while riding smaller bikes.. Then when those techniques are applied to larger bikes, the speed is much more natural and a lot less work because your are riding smarter, not harder :banghead:

Get a 125.. You'll out grow it in a couple years, but the things you learn might keep you off your head when you get a bigger scooter :)

IMHO

125. I went from an 80 to a short lived 250. I just didn't have any fun on it. now that I'm older, and little stronger, and heavier I got the 250.

Heck I bought a WR450 last year and did not have any fun lugging that dang thing around. Too heavy for me.

hi, i am currently on a 85 and wondering if i would be able to handle a 250 2-smoke. i know i will not get a new bike for a year or more, so i am sure to grow. right now i and 5'5" and about 120lb. do you think i will be able to move from a mod 85 to a 250 2-smoke? or would a bored out 125 do me just as good? i race motocross, so any comments would be great!

YZ125 :)