Sign in to follow this  

recluse question

what does a recluse clutch do on a steep climb when the bike/rider is unable to clear the crest? what i'm getting at is engine braking, i use engine braking to get myself out of these failed hillclimbes. seems a recluse would nulify this ability?

to clarify,fail to climb a steep hill and stall the bike intentually so you dont endo or just want/need to stop. now you have good engine braking assuming (1st/2nd gear) so while holding/modulating the front brake AND the clutch lever, while attempting to get at the rear brake, you can back down the hill with some good brake control.

The rekluse nulifies engine breaking.

so that would be, the reason i dont want one.

how the heck do you backoff those failed climbes with one ?

but what if engines stalled ??

Then it will free wheel. That is basically the only thing against a rekluse. If I can't make it up a hill (which honestly is rare once you have one) I have always been able to back down or turn around some how. The advantages far outweigh the negatives if you ask me.

And FYI, there are 365,000 Rekluse threads on here if you do a little searching. I did a lot of reading before I bought mine and have been extremely happy with my purchase.

Then it will free wheel. That is basically the only thing against a rekluse. If I can't make it up a hill (which honestly is rare once you have one) I have always been able to back down or turn around some how. The advantages far outweigh the negatives if you ask me.

the hills i was on today, were rough, steep, rocky, and slick. i cannot fathom a recluse helping me that much under those conditions. however i did utilise the stall it and back down slowly routine a few times.

And FYI, there are 365,000 Rekluse threads on here if you do a little searching. I did a lot of reading before I bought mine and have been extremely happy with my purchase.

yes i'm tired and lazy,, and the question just poped into my head.:)

not really in the market for a recluse. a potential problem just donged on me so i asked the question. i'll do more research next time.

If there is a negative to any auto clutch, that would be it. Thing is, in my mind I'm going to make the hill so I sure don't worry about it.

Also, with the AC you can concentrate more on getting up the hill since the bike will not die. And even if you don't directly make the hill you can often get off and work the bike up the side of the hill.

No engine braking if the engine speed drops below the clutch engagement speed, whatever you've adjusted it to. If the engine quits on a hill it freewheels forward or backward. No bump starting.

thanks for the replies, it seems most people who have the recluse clutch like it alot. i've not been interested in one,just questioning there operation, and for my riding style i think its best not to have one. :)

the hills i was on today, were rough, steep, rocky, and slick. i cannot fathom a recluse helping me that much under those conditions. however i did utilise the stall it and back down slowly routine a few times.

Those conditions are when it will help you the most. No worrying about the clutch. If you set it up right it is nearly impossible to stall the bike. When I end up stuck on a hill I just feather the gas to keep from folling back. The good thing is that with the Rekluse you will go places you would have never thought possible.

Those conditions are when it will help you the most. No worrying about the clutch. If you set it up right it is nearly impossible to stall the bike. When I end up stuck on a hill I just feather the gas to keep from folling back. The good thing is that with the Rekluse you will go places you would have never thought possible.

i guess i really need to ride a bike with one, i dont have a issue with clutch control,my balance is crap though.:)

You know these are the type of conditions the rekluse excels in, right?

The setup I went with is replacing the clutch with a left hand rear break. Of course I haven't missed a hill climb so far (ok, I haven't had the clutch that long), but I believe I'll be able to use both brakes with my hands & have my feet on the ground to back down if necessary.

The setup I went with is replacing the clutch with a left hand rear break. Of course I haven't missed a hill climb so far (ok, I haven't had the clutch that long), but I believe I'll be able to use both brakes with my hands & have my feet on the ground to back down if necessary.

Plus one.

The LHRB is really essential when attempting to bulldog an auto clutch equipped back down very steep hills. The LHRB is also very helpful on tight downhill switch-backs, not to mention the fact that rear brake modulation is much better via the left hand.

i guess i really need to ride a bike with one, i dont have a issue with clutch control,my balance is crap though.:)

I didn't either but everyone i ride with said when i put one on my 06 it seems like i was a gear faster but its all in what you want i loved mine but i seen the down side on the track.