Sign in to follow this  

91 xr250L engine tick video

ok, so i've had this ticking on the right side of the motor since the bike over heated awhile ago. i've adjusted the valves, and now suspect the cam chain. what does everyone think? i'll try to pull the cover and check the adjuster this week. thanks for the help,

http://s107.photobucket.com/albums/m297/bcjcgnar/?action=view&current=2009_0314board0006.flv

Double check your valves. That's what it sounds like to me.

Make sure that the feeler gauge that is just out of range of the spec doesn't fit. It is real hard to do the RFVC engines by feel correctly because of the small opening and tight angle.

I'm not sure why the valves would coincide with the overheat... What happened to make it overheat?

i think enough oil wasn't getting to the motor? i've switched to synthetic, put a high flow filter on, cleaned the oil screen, and now have the oil temp dipstick, which usually runs at 250-260, but had one instance of 280 during a long switch back climb. i'm nervous about summer... at any rate ill recheck the valves.

thanks and keep the avice coming!:)

If im not mistakin those motors had the decompresstion valve built in with the kick starter. If im right you or somone might have ridden the bike with the kick starter caught in thier pant leg in the down position and wore the lobes on the cam down.If that is the case its all over.Id seroiusly start by checking the valve lash.if thats not it then its time for a top end teardown..

If im not mistakin those motors had the decompresstion valve built in with the kick starter. If im right you or somone might have ridden the bike with the kick starter caught in thier pant leg in the down position and wore the lobes on the cam down.If that is the case its all over.Id seroiusly start by checking the valve lash.if thats not it then its time for a top end teardown..

Check the decomp cable from the kick start to make sure it is adjusted properly. As a quick test just disconnect it at the top of the head.

280F isn't too hot. I had a Trail Tech vapor on my Ascot (XL500 motor) and I would see 280F while sitting in traffic.

the decomp cable was unattached when i got the bike last year, and i've read on here it was no big deal as long as it starts ok, so i've ridden it as is since.

the kickstarter once got nudged forward while riding and made a buzzing sound for .5 second, but really didn't seem too bad.

i've read 290 is a good time to stop and let the bike cool, thoughts?

thanks fellas.