Sign in to follow this  

svx led blinker ?

i just purchased an 09 aprilia 550 sxv.. after derestricting it... i am very happy ..stock it would do a whoping 63 mph ..:) now she screems sounds just like a moto gp bike love it so far

trying to install led blinkers and tighten things up in the rear ...they sem to just stay on and dont blink ..

i know i need to put a resistor on the positive side of the blinker but dont know what size resistor to use ...anyone know

No idea on the resistors. Personally, I chose to swap out the falsher relay on my bike for one designed for use with LED signals. You can get those relays many places.

Usually if they need a resistor it is because they flash too fast. I don't have an Aprilia, but electricity should work the same. If it does not flash at all I would double check the wiring, maybe even temporarily putting the old blinkers on to test. Using an electronic flasher is a better choice then adding a resistor. The idea behind the resistor is to make the load on the flasher about what it was with the incadescent bulb, just measure one with a meter and that's the size you need (or double it and use just one on each side).

I have a set of Watsen Design LED turn signals and they work just fine. The Watsen's come with resistance wires but they still flash faster than stock which is annoying but not critical.

The SXV OEM turn signals SUCK!

Any LED turn signal should have the correct amount of resistance built into the unit its self. You need a LED turn signal flasher. These work off a much smaller current draw compared to a normal bulb signal flasher. Adding a resistor should not fix anything. Bulb lights have a much lower resistance than an LED circuit, that's why the current and power is so much more with bulbs and why LED's use less current and power. I have found these LED flashers at many dealership.

Resistors do fix the flashing too fast thing. But an electronic flasher (there are no "LED flashers") is a better fix. The standard mechanical flasher rely on current draw to flash. That is why when a bulb burns out they flash fast. LEDs do not draw enough current to make them flash correctly, hence the typical fast flashing. Adding a resistor or two to each side increases the current draw and can make them flash at the correct rate. None of this is likely to be your problem but it is possible that the flasher you have will not flash at all without enough load on it. If that is the case adding resistors or replacing the flasher would fix it.

Edit:

They install parallel to the turns signals so that resistence is reduced, increasing current draw.

ok i ended up with a 10 ohm resistor it didnt get wired as i expected i thought i could just run it inline with the positive lead ...no not the case it got wired paralell with the blinker ...for those who dont understand like me ...it runs between the positive and negative lead then the leads continue on to the blinker ..i took pics today but forgot the camera it shows it a pic it worth a thousand words ...thanks to everyone that posted it got me going in the right direction...hapily blinking now at about the right speed

Watch out using resistors. You have to get the big ones due to the current draw and they get HOT. I used some on my CBR and tucked them behind the panel. After about 5 minutes of riding they got so hot that they melted the panel and deformed it. I was pissed. I knew they would get warm, but I wasn't expecting to be able to fry eggs with them. If you use a standard resistor, you will fry it, it must be the big 10 watt resisotrs.

Run to your local Autozone, they stock them. I'd go with a flasher if I were doing it again though. I've left the stock blinkers on my SXV, I don't see a need in changing them.

I've left the stock blinkers on my SXV, I don't see a need in changing them.

They suck balls and will break if you look at them wrong. They also get discoloured from the exhaust.

this is what i came up with honest officer they are stock i dont know it is an itallian company they do things different than the jap bikes rearblinkerreeled.jpg[/img][/img]