Sign in to follow this  

Mccall, ID in August - ride recommendations?

I'm a fairly experienced Seattle area rider (MX and trail riding background) riding a well-prepared KTM 450 EXC-R. Day ride recommendations would be much appreciated!

Thanks for the help in advance,

Hamp

Get a Payette National forest map and the trails will be marked. Loon lake is supposed to be a good trail ( there was a great trip report on KTM talk with lots of pics ) .

I haven't made it that far north yet (about 2 hrs drive) as far as riding is concerned. I only have 2 days a week to ride and there still another couple hundred miles of trails to ride btween here and there besides what i have already ridden.

Victor Creek ... when it's been cleared, lol. A group of us went out for what we thought was going to be 'cut a decent amount of logs then go have fun' type trail ... ended up running out of daylight and spent the night in the dirt. I've never tried to jump so many logs before ... in the dark. But it sure was one of the most memorable rides of my life and I can hardly wait to get back out there. The Burgdorf area is a WHOLE nother kinda level of riding. :):banghead:

Here's some pics from 'The 24hrs of Victor Creek'.

S5002093.jpg

S5002095.jpg

We did have some sections in the day that we were able to enjoy.

tresa.jpg

I can't fully remember the name of all the trails we rode that day ... Victor Creek for sure was one I can't forget ... but I remember part of Loon maybe? And perhaps an easier trail called Bear Pete? I'm sure Mark will chime in a bit.

That riding up by burgdorf is alot of fun but make sure like JAT says know what is clear for sure, I have stayed in the woods up there too! There is alot of nice scenery for sure. that whole area is an intermeiate to expert level of riding, a couple buddies from Boise call it the " Prooving Grounds"!

I'm in for the next adventure. I love that area and the Burgdorf Hot Springs are well worth it for a nice soak - particularly for after a long day of clearing trail. If only they served Margaritas by the pool.....

I'm in for the next adventure. I love that area and the Burgdorf Hot Springs are well worth it for a nice soak - particularly for after a long day of clearing trail.

Our intent was to hit the hotsprings after the ride. Unfortunately, we slept in the dirt with our helmets on (for pillows, and also to stay warm) and dreamed about the 24 (!) beers sitting in my cooler back at camp.

I've only ridden a little up there, but except for the loon lake loop, most of it was fairly challenging riding.

As mbaird says, the payette nf map has all the trails marked. It doesn't tell you how hard they are tho, or which is the preferred direction of travel. we did bear pete trail, crossed the hwy and followed victor creek down to the loon lake loop. That's a good loop, and there aren't many trees left to fall down on it, so it'll probably be cleared early this year. After the fires it went 2 years without being cleared, and then we got bad info from usfs that it was already cleared, so we only had 1 chainsaw in the group, which is why we didn't finish it before nightfall.

Sounds like it was one of those "epic" adventure type rides. I've done the loon lake loop a bunch on my mountain bike and would imagine the terrain off that loop to be a bit of a bear - vertical and rocky. I'll need to work on my skills...

Hey Mark, what was the stuff we were riding the following weekend up there? Almost started riding to our doom then changed our minds and went back the way we came? I'd like to finish riding that with some better weather ... although the rain sure made it pretty entertaining, lol. :banghead::)

That riding up by burgdorf is alot of fun but make sure like JAT says know what is clear for sure, I have stayed in the woods up there too! There is alot of nice scenery for sure. that whole area is an intermeiate to expert level of riding, a couple buddies from Boise call it the " Prooving Grounds"!

Fo sho, lol. :):banghead: :banghead:

Hey Mark, what was the stuff we were riding the following weekend up there? Almost started riding to our doom then changed our minds and went back the way we came?

French creek and something else. Across the hwy from victor creek. That would have been fun riding if not for the steady cold rain. The hill we came back up after we decided to turn around was one of the gnarliest, rockiest, longest, most difficult climbs I have done, but I was probably just being a wiener.

I can hardly wait to ride that stuff again. :banghead:

Burgdorf is one of the areas where I finally realized 'I can't believe I'm actually riding this stuff', lol. Kinda nice when you can finally see what improvements you've made. :)

Maybe it's a good thing you only had 1 chainsaw or you might have run out of gas 10 miles in ! lol

Let me know if you guys plan a ride up there this year. Just give me a few weeks notice so that I can get the weekend off.

I can hardly wait to ride that stuff again. :banghead:

Burgdorf is one of the areas where I finally realized 'I can't believe I'm actually riding this stuff', lol. Kinda nice when you can finally see what improvements you've made. :)

I think the place we stayed the night from what I recall my friend later refered to it as Jenkins Crossing?

Bovill area! The best trails around. Fossil bowl is just up the road. You can check their web site. Moose creek reservoir, unreal. Have a great time.

Thanks folks, great info and sounds like fun riding. Looks like I'll need to carry a saw though...

Hamp

Here's some links that might help piece together areas talked about

http://www.fs.fed.us/r4/payette/web_maps/map_motorized_trailheads.html

http://www.fs.fed.us/r4/payette/recreation/trails_east.shtml

......including another fine example of the quickly put together poor quality forest service travel plan maps we now get

(having the actual Payette Forest Map to go along with these things really helps)

http://www.fs.fed.us/r4/payette/publications/trvl_mgmt/rods/rod_MCL_KSL_map.pdf

Thanks folks, great info and sounds like fun riding. Looks like I'll need to carry a saw though...

Hamp

I ALWAYS carry a hand saw in the mountains. I have the zubat http://www.wesspur.com/saws/silky-hand-saws.html

You never know when even a small 13" saw will save you turning around. Even if you can't cut through an obstacle, you may be able to at least trim the branches of a big downed tree to make it rideable, or more easily draggable.

I only carry a chainsaw when required, usually on large group rides, or on specific trail-clearing expeditions. In august, you'll probably be ok w/o one.

I ALWAYS carry a hand saw in the mountains.....

That reminds me, been almost 2yrs and I still haven't put the hand saw I had mt'd on my previous bike on my Husky........not doing so might bite me in the butt one of these days.