Sign in to follow this  

Moving to CA...Are bikes registered in other states grandfathered in?

The title pretty much says it all. I'm moving to CA for grad school in about six months and I'd love to take my plated-in-Colorado WR400. I know my bike wouldn't pass California emissions, but if it's already registered in Colorado, can I get it plated there? I need to change my residency for school, but I could just leave my Colorado plate on and hope I don't get caught. Are California police big on enforcing such motor vehicle laws? If you had a bike legal in Colorado (no turn signals, etc.) and rode through California with a Colorado license, would you be breaking the law?

it will get flagged as off road only. If you tagged in another state you good for passing through, but make sure you make manual had signals if your don't have lights.

The title pretty much says it all. I'm moving to CA for grad school in about six months and I'd love to take my plated-in-Colorado WR400. I know my bike wouldn't pass California emissions, but if it's already registered in Colorado, can I get it plated there??

No - you are s.o.l. on that one

I need to change my residency for school, but I could just leave my Colorado plate on and hope I don't get caught. Are California police big on enforcing such motor vehicle laws??

You could do that, but you'll potentially be in a world of hurt if stopped by any law enforcement - In state license & out of state registration in teh same name = BIG no-no. You'd have better luck pulling this ff if you can register the bike in a family members name "back home", "no officer, it's not my bike. It's my _________'s back home, who's letting me use it while I attend collage ere in CA since gas is so expensive here" Complete lie & completely dishonest approach - but if the ethics & morality don't bother you, (& apparently it doesn't since we can only assume you're trying to avoid out of state tuition (completely dishonest) & keep your plate while residing here (also dishonest) it's your best approach).

If you had a bike legal in Colorado (no turn signals, etc.) and rode through California with a Colorado license, would you be breaking the law?

No- CA like every other state reciprocates MV requirements. If it's legal, & legally registered "back home" while you're visiting the golden state - the courts will rscognize that fact - te officer on the street may cite you, but the court will dismiss with no drama other than the hassel of a phone call after the fact.

I teach at a private university, and I would guess that we have more out-of-state students than in-state. The parking lots are full of out-of-state registered cars, bikes, and scooters. The local LEOS do appreciate that we have a large transient population of students, but if you get pulled over with an out-of-state tag, you had better also have a valid out-of-state driver's license, or be able to convice them that you just borrowed it from your out-of-state buddie (who doesn't happen to have the same name as you!) for the day....

Seeing you need to establish residency here, you will need a Calif driver's license, so that complicates things for you!

Keep your out-of-state license active, and you will be fine. Just tell them you have two houses.

You can keep your CO DL and get a California ID card which looks like a driver license, but is used for identification purposes only. A regular ID card is valid for six years. Then just pull out the right one when you need it.

keep it registered in CO just send your parents or someone the money go to the DMV and then have them mail you your new sticker...since your just going to school and have a CO Driver Liscense thats what i would do!

I'm not a lawyer so the following isn't advice.

If you don't get a job here you might still be able to claim that you are a Colorado resident. Then you can keep you Colorado plates and license. If you are going to a Univ Of CA and paying nonresident tuition you are golden. Well at least until you have to give the gold back in the insane non resident tuition.

From the Cali DMV website on licenses.

If you are a visitor in California over 18 and have a valid driver license from your home state or country, you may drive in this state without getting a California driver license as long as your home state license remains valid.

If you take a job here or become a resident, you must get a California driver license within 10 days. Residency is established by voting in a California election, paying resident tuition, filing for a homeowner’s property tax exemption, or any other privilege or benefit not ordinarily extended to nonresidents.

From the part about registering vehicles. This seems to be more of a problem where it's talking about renting.

Commercial vehicles and any vehicle owned by a California resident must be registered upon entry into California unless a special permit was obtained. Visitors whose vehicles are properly registered to them in their home state may operate their vehicles in California until they:

* Accept gainful employment in California.

* Claim a homeowner's exemption in California.

* Rent or lease a residence in California.

* Intend to live or be located here on a permanent basis (for example, acquire a California driver license, acquire other licenses not ordinarily extended to a nonresident, registered to vote).

* Enroll in an institution of higher learning as a California resident or enroll their dependents in school (K-12).

I think there used to be some sort of rule for bringing out of state vehicles in to CA, but they had to have 5k miles on them IIRC. Not sure if that applies to converted bikes, because that was mostly for people who used to buy a new vehicle out of state to avoid CA taxes, but it is worth a try.

I think there used to be some sort of rule for bringing out of state vehicles in to CA, but they had to have 5k miles on them IIRC. Not sure if that applies to converted bikes, because that was mostly for people who used to buy a new vehicle out of state to avoid CA taxes, but it is worth a try.

That rule applies to vehicles that are federal on-road certified with 7500 miles but don't meet CA requirements. His bike has neither cert (CA or fed).

Cleonard has it right. The minute you work here or have your name on a residence, you must have CA registration. If you are a full-time student w/o a job, you can keep your Co. stuff. Otherwise you must transfer it to Ca and therefore lose the ability to dual-sport it. A lil loop hole that may work for you is to register it as a streetbike only. However if DMV wants an inspection you're screwed. Sorry

Since it is an out of state transfer the DMV will require an inspection. Keep it registered in CO. Put it in a relatives name if you need to and claim you are borrowing it.