Sign in to follow this  

ktm 250 1991 clutch question

i was wondering if anyone had a place for a manual or could maybe post the clutch adjustment. my brother n law just got this ktm. previous owner said that he just had kick starter replaced by a guy that works on ktms and when he got it back after fighting with him on the repair it seems to have no clutch. the guy said it just needs adjusted but to be honest i know very little on ktms. looking forward to learning the ktm world but would feel better if i had a pic or even just the specs to look for. where is the adjustment... what is a good starting place to be with it.? does the oil need to be completely drained or can i lay it on its side? like i said i know nothing about this bike.. its in my garage and has been for 2 days. i know how to work on bikes so doing the work i don't worry about... just don't want to mess it up if there is some order to it. research then work... thats my motto!! any help would be great. links?

there is no adjustment that I know of except at the lever. The 2st race bikes are not like large street bikes and do not have a 2nd adjustment in the case. Some cables have an adjustment in the middle of the cable also, but its all external and not in the motor. Things that could be wrong are the clutch rod could be gone, the throw out or end bearing could be gone. Lay it on its side to take off just the clutch cover n look n see whats up. Get a new gasket first tho or it may be on its side for a week while you find one.

yeah i know the basic adjustments. i was more looking for torq specs or even a pic or specific things to look for. i will look for the things mentioned... thanks

Check KTMTALK.com they have a forum for older KTM's. They have some guy's on there that really know alot about the older ktm's.