Sign in to follow this  

300 xcw knocking, pinging sound

hey everyone, i recently purchased a 2006 300 xcw. couple things bout the bike. it has an fmf fatty pipe, stock silencer, yellow spring installed w adjuster turned out flush. other than that motor is stock. when im riding in higher gears only at slight throttle there is a knocking or pinging sound coming from the engine. open the throttle up, it goes away. the bike supposedly had a fresh top end one year ago and wasnt ridden much b4 i bought it. also i havent put fresh gas in it since i bought it as it had a full tank and ive only ridden it 50 miles or so.....could it be bottom end noise? maybe i need a rebuild? the bike has TONS of power. not sure what to do other than keep ridin. any suggestions would be helpful. thanks!

• Like 1

MANY people new to ktm 2 strokes mistake chain slap noise for engine knock. could this be what you are hearing? linkageless swingarm tends to slap the chain a lot at certain speeds.

joe

that may be a possibility, but the chain is tightened up and adjusted correctly...

Sounds to me like you are bogging it and need to downshift.... or give it more throttle :)

that may be a possibility, but the chain is tightened up and adjusted correctly...

I recently switched from a Honda to the KTM and the chain slap was quite noticeably louder on the KTM. Adjusted correctly, the KTM's chain runs quite a bit looser than other bikes because of the linkless suspension. You notice it more at lower revs because you have less engine noise.

1. go in on the AS .5 to 1 turn or

2. raise the needle by dropping the clip by one or

3. raise the pilot 1 step or

4. a combination of the 3

you are hearing a lean knock. 1 and/or 2 should get it done.

Same thing happened to me when I first bought my 07 250 XCW last fall. Even with the chain properly adjusted, it turned out to be a little chain slap that went away when I got on the gas.

I get a pipe bang at low rpm when cold, goes away when warm. I guess it could be lean, but my plug looks ok.

LOL!! a properly adjusted KTM chain is pretty loose so that is why chain slap is extremely common and people constantly ask about it over on ktm talk. do some searching on here and ktm talk and you will see!!:)

Joe

Hey ej,

just ignore negative posts like that. Some people on these forums think they're experts just cause they sit around on the computer making thousands of posts. Guess it boosts their ego or something to make posts like that.

I've been riding since I was 10 years old and it took me awhile to figure out that it was chain slap...I thought it was some vibration in the bottom end. Don't sweat it.

ok buddy... this post is cuz im pissed off.... ok so i switched from a honda to a ktm and thought my bike sounded abnormal and couldnt distinguish the sound it was making?.... im new to ktm's and u are freakin obviously alot older and more experienced with ktms than i...so does that give u the right to make fun of and bash me because i cant distinguish a chain slap? on a bike that is notorious for this?? tt forum is a q&a informative site to help people... not to make yourself feel better cuz u know more than someone else.....

Holy Thin Skin - If your feelings get hurt this easy maybe you shouldn't be on public forums??

Have someone eles ride your scooter. You can hear chain slap alot better with a buddy ridding your bike. Also, I agree that you need to take things with a grain of salt. Gmoss has a wealth of knowlegde and you want him on your side.

Have someone eles ride your scooter. You can hear chain slap alot better with a buddy ridding your bike. Also, I agree that you need to take things with a grain of salt. Gmoss has a wealth of knowlegde and you want him on your side.

I second that . Gmoss is one of the top tt members who's always willing and able to offer sound advice. This forum would not be half as good if it wasn't for guys like him. Roll on tt.

I'm new here but my 09 300xc has the same thing , it is the chain slap. You have to run the chain with more play then say a honda. It slaps the bottom off the swing arm on the plastic guard up by your counter shaft sprocket. Enjoy the bike I've been riding for about 40yrs and it is by far my best ever off road ride.