Sign in to follow this  

A Husky for me?

I've been wanting a Husky bike for a while. I just don't know their model/year history. I think I have a Husky dealer around my area(Fast by Ferracci), but it is about 2-3 hours away. Any suggestions and pics?

i don't know about your registration rules but i think a TE is road registerable out of the box there, mine is a 07' TE450 enduro with lights, indicators, mirrors etc. and it HONKS!!! i love it! the side stand bracket sucks but frankly that's my only grumble, it comes with a 2 year warranty and the valve shims are so easy to adjust you can do it in your sleep. If you buy a new one the side stand bracket isn't an issue and they're injected. I like the idea of a carbed trail bike, mine has a akropovic pipe and the keihin carb has excellent manners and is easy to alter the fueling to suit, dunno about the injection and cat being easy to alter but someone will set you straight soon enough.

whether you buy new or used you will have a blast on it, they are so much fun and they pull like a tractor, much easier to ride than my mates WR450 which is a real handful.

good luck.

paul.

In PA you can plate any bike as long as it has lights, mirrors and a horn. Turn signals are optional if you like sticking your arm out.

I don't have a set budget, but I am thinking around $3000-4000. Also what years were the blue and yellow Huskys? I like that color scheme a lot.

I also want a bike that will get me up some short, steep, almost cliffs, hills that are made of loose shale.

I just bought a 2008 Husky TE250 that is considered dual-sport. It has lights, turn signals and as soon as I get the paperwork from the dealer it will have a license. I bought it to grow into. I ride a modified CRF230F and wanted a bike for down the road that I could ride single track and some dual-sport rides. I will probably ride the husky on the street for a few months to get used too and take some time to modify some things and get parts for off-road. I know the 250 has a power up kit too if that's of interest.

I've been riding Huskys since 2002. Had a '92 WXC 360, and currently have an '04 TE 510. Quality is top notch and reliability has never been an issue. Those bikes have taken me many hard miles through single track nastiness with no problems that weren't self inflicted. Parts are fairly easy to get and this forum is an excellent resource of knowledge.

The '04's and '05 have the blue and yellow color scheme. However try to get the newest model possible for the money because, of course, improvements come with each year.

Good luck in your quest, you won't be disappointed!

The question of "which Husky is right for me" is one that comes up pretty frequently. One of these days I'm going to make up a matrix, sort of a application form, to better help answer these questions. It would need to look something like this.

About the rider

Rider experience --- ___________________________________

Rider height--------____________________________________

Rider weight------- ____________________________________

Mechanical experience- __________________________________

Location ---------- _____________________________________

Intended purpose

% Street time---- ______________________________

% Off road time-- ______________________________

Likely type of off road terrain-- ___________________

I think if we had that info up front we could maybe help steer people in the right direction.

note; this is a rough draft. feel free to add more pertinent info.

What do you guys think about the SM450R and SM510R? What years did these run?

Where are you located at in PA that your closest dealer is 2-3 hours away?

Toy Tech is just east of Harrisburg if that is any closer for you.

If you want street legal and a lots of grunt, my TE-510 works well for me. My WR-250 Husky is what I like for single track.

Mill Hall

I just want a Husky. I do have a Honda Rancher. I've always wanted a motorcycle, but I decided on a quad instead because I could plow snow for money.

I am considering different Huskys like the WR250, the SM450, the SM125, one of the TE series, etc... I don't have the money to drop on a new bike. Basically one that is street legal or a 2-stroke.

Unless you answer Rajo's questions, there's really no point in answering your questions!

The question of "which Husky is right for me" is one that comes up pretty frequently. One of these days I'm going to make up a matrix, sort of a application form, to better help answer these questions. It would need to look something like this.

About the rider

Rider experience --- ___________________________________

Rider height--------____________________________________

Rider weight------- ____________________________________

Mechanical experience- __________________________________

Location ---------- _____________________________________

Intended purpose

% Street time---- ______________________________

% Off road time-- ______________________________

Likely type of off road terrain-- ___________________

I think if we had that info up front we could maybe help steer people in the right direction.

note; this is a rough draft. feel free to add more pertinent info.

One day of drz110 riding, ATV riding intermediate

6.0'

too much

good

Central PA ATV trails, maybe a MX track later on

0-5%

95-100%

steep hills, open areas, ATV trails, rocks, etc...

Maybe a WR250?

One day of drz110 riding, ATV riding intermediate

6.0'

too much

good

Central PA ATV trails, maybe a MX track later on

0-5%

95-100%

steep hills, open areas, ATV trails, rocks, etc...

Maybe a WR250?

Yep sounds like a WR250 would be a good choice for you but you might also want to look at a TE250. The TE is a bit tamer ride and would allow you to hone you're skills, not to mention that it is street legal.:)

Not sure about a WR 250 with one day DRZ 110 experience. IMO I think a WR or CR 125 would be a better bet. Not as much torque off the bottom which is good for a first bike for those times when you make a throttle mistake in a tight spot. Look for one that is titled/plated already so you can hit the road between trails. I have a TE 250 which is great but for a 16 year old a 2-stroke is much cheaper/easier to maintain and also cheaper to purchase.

I'm in S/E Pa. and I use Toy Tech. Scott and Chris are great guys and can answer your questions about Huskys. Plus they are well stocked with parts and won't rake you over the coals if you are inexperienced.

What I want is an older bike(2000 and up). I was looking at the wr125, the youtube videos of it are sick. I wouldn't mind having any Husky as long as it was cheap, fun, and has lights. I can't find too many reviews on Huskys other than here. I think I might like a 4t instead of a 2t(no premix), but I don't know.

Depends on your budget. Premixing is nothing compared to properly maintaining a hi-performance 4 stroke. Everything about a 2 stroke motor is cheaper, from maintenance to a full rebuild. But go with what you like.