Sign in to follow this  

YTZ10S Battery Upgrade

My stock battery finally bit the dust for good and no amount of time on the Battery Tender or the Optimate would bring it back this time.

After researching battery upgrade options on this forum, I decided to buy a Yuasa YTZ10S from a local dealer and try to make it fit. The length and height match the stock battery, but it's almost an inch wider. Ditching the plastic bracket on the battery box gives you about 3/8", but that's still not enough to allow the side panel to fit no matter how much you try to wrestle it into place. I didn't like the idea of cutting the back of the battery box off and leaving the back side of the battery exposed to flying rocks, etc, so my only alternative was to modify the side panel to make it fit.

This turned out to be much easier than I originally thought it would be. After trimming the raised ridge on the inside of the side panel, I positioned the panel as best as it would fit and installed the seat bolt to hold the top of the panel in place. This was with the new battery in place. I then used a heat gun to very slowly heat the side panel and work it until I could install the lower bolt. I continued to slowly heat and work the panel until I was happy with the fit.

I did end up with some small indentations in the panel, possibly due to overheating the plastic, but I wanted to make sure I shaped it enough that reinstallation wouldn't be a major ordeal every time.

I still have to make a new bracket to hold the battery securely in place. I'll try using some 1/16" aluminum flat bar and see if I can figure out a way to use the existing mounting tabs on the battery box rather than drilling holes.

PICT0187.jpg

PICT0189.jpg

PICT0193.jpg

PICT0183.jpg

PICT0184.jpg

PICT0192.jpg

PICT0190.jpg

I got around to making the bracket today and got everything put back together. The bracket added a bit more width, so I had to heat and reshape the panel some more. Everything fits, but I have a feeling I'll be cursing this mod every time I have to put the airbox cover back on. Time will tell.

PICT0195.jpg

PICT0196.jpg

PICT0200.jpg

PICT0201.jpg

PICT0204.jpg

PICT0205.jpg

Did you notice the above post? You can avoid the problems you are having by getting the proper bracket from Eddie and opening up the back side of your battery box. That's what I'm gonna do, if and then, the original battery takes a dump.

With all due respect, there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Having the back of the battery exposed is probably fine for a street going supermoto bike, but I personally don't like the idea of leaving it open to potential damage from flying rocks and debris when riding off road. I know the chances of a rock actually piercing the battery is probably pretty low, but I still don't like the idea of stuff bouncing directly off the battery over a period of time.

I'll admit that my mod is not ideal due to the fitting problems of the side panels, but at this point I prefer that over leaving the battery exposed to damage. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

When my battery craps out I will go with the Eddie mod/bracket design, then I will look into a way to protect the back of the battery.

I think a simple peice of rubber roof material glued to the back will do the trick to absorb any hard impacts.

Doc, I think your mod is going to serve you just fine. I give you a "A" for Effort.

I have the SSW battery bracket/mod and love it :) Nothing beats having a kick-start though :banghead:

I was concerned about the exposed battery but it hasnt been a problem at all. As a matter of fact, I have never heard or seen of anyone, under any circumstances having a problem with the exposed battery. ever.

Any thing thats going to go through the battery would go through the fender as well - I have never seen a rear fender with a puncture hole in it.

Trying to think outside the box (and not going out to the garage to double check) maybe you could take 0.25-0.50" off the battery box mounting bosses on the sub frame to move the whole assembly in-wards without having to re-shape/distort the side panel while maintaining the stock box? I'd still go with the SSW bracket first though.

Good luck!