Sign in to follow this  

Safe to put crap in the bed with tail gate down?

Hey. I just bought this truck today... here's a pic of it with my bike in it.

If I put a gas can, the ramp, bike stand in it, is the stuff going to fall out on the high way? Suggestions?

2593_630583199220_16926922_39180423_2564413_n.jpg

Yes they will, its not worth losing money. Just tie everything down, if you put the bike in corner to corner you should be abe to close the tailgate too, but I would still tie everything down.

Yes they will, its not worth losing money. Just tie everything down, if you put the bike in corner to corner you should be abe to close the tailgate too, but I would still tie everything down.

If you put it at an angle does it still tie down alright? And isn't it a bit of a pain trying to straighten it back out to get it out of the truck?

you can put the bike to one side then pull the back end off to the side until the gate will shut. i carry my bike like that all the time and it seems odd at first but works just fine. plus it doesn't cause the front of the bed box to flex towards the cab as much when it's closer to the pinch welds. then the tailgate is shut and no need to tie anything down. if you carry 2 bikes just push the wheels into the corners and you should be able to close the gate with them both loaded.

Hey. I just bought this truck today... here's a pic of it with my bike in it.

If I put a gas can, the ramp, bike stand in it, is the stuff going to fall out on the high way? Suggestions?

2593_630583199220_16926922_39180423_2564413_n.jpg

In my state, many people have been killed, permanently maimed, so losing cargo iis an ultra steep fine here in WA. Secure it with a strap or something.

those are sweet if you can afford it.

Probably not, I just bought a truck I can't afford... but hey, that's what credit cards are for :)

Put the ramp up against the end of the box and run a tie down from the peg to the ramp and tension it so it wont move. My gascan goes sideways underneath my skidplate.

+1 on the Ready Ramp. I have one and really like it. I picked mine up on CL for about half of that - just got lucky and saw it when I was looking for one.

I use it with a regular folding ramp and walk up/down it when loading/unloading.

If you put it at an angle does it still tie down alright? And isn't it a bit of a pain trying to straighten it back out to get it out of the truck?

yes it does tie down right, but I havent done it in a silverado only in a tacoma with the adjustable hooks. Then to get it out of the truck I just loosen the straps and turn the bars to straighten it up while pushing it back, or just turn it by the subframe.

get some bungie cords .

i have several gas cans i never payed for because of people who don't strap stuff down .

i have a ready ramp and i wish i knew that tt sold them i picked the 100lb one and it set me back 300 well worth it though use it every time im haulin my bike. just throw every thing in my bed and strap it all down to the ramp. worth every penny , but i wish i knew i could have gotten it cheaper :)

If you angle it in to close the tailgate, use a 3rd tie down to go to the back tie down ring for extra security --- you will see why when you do it --- the short side tie down is always tight, while the long one flops around a lot more

ohhh ---- and big props to the bed xtender if you can get one -- they are nice, but truthfully -- i usually run a couple of tie downs through the back wheel across the back of the bed --- i have never lost anything -- usually carry a cooler, gas can, and bike stand. Tools and riding gear go up front with me