Sign in to follow this  

I finally reached that point!

You know how when you buy a used bike from someone you are always a little leery about how reliable the bike is/will be? I have been that way since I first got my XR a few months ago. Lots of little irritations, difficulity starting, stalling, this breaks that quits working. Ride to the store shut it down and spend 20 minutes trying to get it to start again. I know some if not most of you have been there. When I bought my KLR it was the same way with out the mechanical problems, just apprehensive about setting out on a 3-4 hour ride for the first time. Then it finally gets to the point where you trust the bike will go where you want it to and not worry about the thing giving you any problems.

Well now I have reached that point with the XR, I have the confidence that it will start in 1-2 kicks every morning, when I stop for gas or whatever it will fire right up on the 1st kick, I am now certain it will take me anywhere I want to go and I don't have that feeling of what if.... I have ridden every day this week and go further and further and know when i stop to pi$$ or fuel up it will start. There are no hesitations when giving it throttle, no more backfire, it glides down the road smooooth. I went for a 3 hour tour today, made many stops, and everytime it fired right up on the first kick, except once. That was my fault, I shut the fuel off and wa talking to someone when it ran the bowl dry and shut down. When I went to re-start it it did not want to fire, ARGHH!what the !!??&&?, oh wait I let it run dry, did my morning routine with just 3 kicks with the copression release, and like magic it fired right up. Took off and did not look back, especially since I was telling the guy I was talking to how reliable it is and never fails to start, when it ran dry and he watched me as I kicked and kicked to get it to start again. I wonder what he was thinking since i was just telling him how fast and powerful this beast is and now it won't start.

Tomorrow I am going to ride the Sierra Scenic Byway, it's supposed to be in the mid 70's and a clear California classic day. That ride will take about 5 hours and cover about 200+ miles round trip. But like I said, I now have no hesitation to go anywhere on this pig. It is a feeling that is hard to explain, but I'm certain most of you know the feeling i have right now. Next weekend is a ride to Cambria with my wife riding the KLR, and me on the XR, should be fun.

Yeah, I'm pretty amped right now:thumbsup:

Mark

That was quite a post, but well said.

After working on and tinkering with the bike and getting it dialed in, it certainly does feel good to "just ride it". :)

Hope to see some pictures from the trip.

Never hurts to ride with a friend. If riding alone on a long loop take some basics that will get you through a possble breakdown.

Which Sierra Byway? Sierra Vista or Eastern?

Not sure, I've only ever heard it called the Sierra Scenic Byway, it starts near North Fork and loops around several famous spots, and ends up near Bass Lake. It goes bu Jesse Ross' cabin, the Globe Rock, Arch Rock, Jackass Meadows, and a couple of others i can't think of the names of right now. It is incredibly beautiful, make me happy I live so close to such a great place. Sorry no pics I rode off without my camera.

Mark