Sign in to follow this  

crf250r to a xr650l

I have a crf250r i am looking to get a xr650l. I trail ride alot and eventually would regester it to drive on the road. How do the 650s perform and how do they handle off road. Also i hear they are easy to maintain is that right. thanks in advance.

I've only had one about 3 months, I'm in love with the 650l.

My other bike is a 09 CRF450 that I ride a combo of moto and socal desert, I can get my 650 around most anywhere, could get it more places but its work compared. I really do love the 650 but it could never be my only off road bike,

there is zero doubt which one i would want everytime off road but I like it more for the range as my 450 only gets me 50-60

Also, the 650 gets me there and back and i love it for that!

Rob.

I love mine too but the biggest thing would be if it's right for you. I suggest sitting on one, riding one if at all possible. I'd say that if you could pick it up, you'll like it too.

I have taken it through some pretty scary stuff out in the woods. With the right tires, it'll happily go anywhere. :)

Good luck !

AS long as you don't expect it to be your CR with a plate you may be happy. If you think it will be as snappy, flickable, suspended, etc. you might be disappointed. If you are in the later category a KTM or Husky might be for your.

About the only place a XR650L beats a two stroke 250 is in low end torque. Less power on top, an extra 100+ pounds, and suspension from the late 80's.

For non serious trail riding in fairly easy terrain the 650L is fine, it carries it's weight high and has a high CG feel to it. It is bulletproof with simple routine maintenance. I would think a CRF250X may be more what your looking for.

An XR650L will go anywhere anything with 2 wheels can go, and it doesn't handle bad in even tight trails, but you will be a bit slower than a lighter, smaller just-dirt bike, and you will work a bit harder.

They are bullet-proof, simple, and low-maintenance.

And tall.

And pretty heavy.

Dave