Sign in to follow this  

520 vs 525 chain life?

drive chain is starting to get a bit rough so thinking of replacing the chain and sprockets (already done the cush rubbers) but its had a good run, 27,500km on the stock set. I like that its lasted so long and would like to get another 30,000 out of a new x-ring chain and so have no problem going a 525 again, but if theres no realistic difference in their life I might as well go a 520.

How much are you getting out of yours? or better yet out of both if you've tried both

525 will last way longer, i had 525 x-ring on my gix, i thrashed the pants off it, wheelied everywhere, with a scottoiler, i adjusted it once over 6 months!!! (and i commute daily!)

My Nordie had a 520 chain and it was 100cc less and 10hp more than the DR.

What's the life going to be for a std 525 vs high quality 520?

Easiest choice is if you like 14/15 front and 41/42/43 rear then 525 is no problem.

Other ratios however are 520 territory.

But i think you CAN run a 16T X 520 counter shaft sprocket with a 525 chain w/o any problems and leave your 525 wheel sprocket alone.

you can get 16T 525 sprockets, they are just a bit more rare. I think i'll go with another 525 set then

In Oz one of the "guru's" changes the rear sprocket for a 520 and leaves the chain and front as 525.

In Oz one of the "guru's" changes the rear sprocket for a 520 and leaves the chain and front as 525.

thats true, since you can use 520 sprockets with a 525 chain I guess theres no reason NOT to get a 525 chain regardless. Though i'm getting a whole new set at once. Anyone know of a place that sells 16/41 or 16/42 - 525 X-Ring chain kits for the DR650? I can get the bits seperately but should be able to save a few dollars if I order them all at once and get them to toss in a 14T as well

And what length is the stock chain is it 110 link? I want the adjustability to swap 14 and 16t on the front. I'm finding 15 a bit short onroad might as well go a bit higher

thats And what length is the stock chain is it 110 link? I want the adjustability to swap 14 and 16t on the front. I'm finding 15 a bit short onroad might as well go a bit higher

Stock chain length for USA (15 x 42) is 110 links.

Stock chain length for USA (15 x 42) is 110 links.

Australia's stocker is a 41, i'm assuming its the same chain length though?

doesn't really matter, what does matter is will a 110 link chain fit straight up to 16/41 & 14/41 or 16/42 & 16/42 since if I get it from australia it'll be the former, from america the latter blablabla. I just need the chain to fit both a 16 and 14t without having to add or remove any links straight out of the box

I'd like to have a 16 to try. Before I got my FCR I would never had considered the 16. In fact, I bought a 14 so the poor thing could twist up the nose in first gear. Once I got into carb mods it sure helped. I was getting second gear lift offs with the DJ'd BST using the 14 and then when I put the FCR on I found that I could put the 15 back on and still throttle it up in second. Then came the Safari tank. I think I need turbo to lift it all now. :)

I will say that the extra grunt of a well tuned carb can leave me wishing for a sixth gear on the road.

But i think you CAN run a 16T X 520 counter shaft sprocket with a 525 chain w/o any problems and leave your 525 wheel sprocket alone.

Do we know any DR riders who have actually Mixed & Matched 520 sprockets with 525 chain? Anybody run this combo for any length of time?

Holding the two sizes up next to one another there is a CLEAR difference in the size. Hard to show with pics but your eye can see how much narrower the 520 is and the shape/size of the "troughs" between teeth have a very different shape.

My instincts tell me that after some kms. you are going to get weird wear patterns and that everything is going to wear out prematurely.

If I were on the road somewhere in the 3rd world and needed a sprocket ... then by all means, I'd settle for the 520 (much more commonly available). But until I have empirical evidence to the contrary, if I have a choice, I'll run 525 everything.

And as mentioned earlier, a 525 set up will go "about" 30% further than a 520 set up. Especially the DID 525 VM-2 X-ring. If you look at the VM X ring chain next to the standard DR650 chain (also a DID, but not top of the line) you can clearly see how much "hunkier" the VM is. It's wider and thicker everywhere. I ran a VM on my DL1000 Vstrom and got 30,000 miles out of it. Lots of friends report similar performance. But singles are HARDER on chains and sprockets than a twin or multi .... even one with 92 HP. (why? It's that Thump thing! :banghead:

My current DID 525 VM-2 X-ring on my DR650 now has about 16,000 miles on it and it still looks really good. I'm hoping it will make it another 10,000 miles. Keeping a fresh counter shaft sprocket on seems to about DOUBLE chain life.

:)

Holding the two sizes up next to one another there is a CLEAR difference in the size. Hard to show with pics but your eye can see how much narrower the 520 is and the shape/size of the "troughs" between teeth have a very different shape.

The only difference should be thickness.

alright, now where would I get a set? I can buy a chain and rear sprocket locally but I still have to source a 16T front sprocket anyway so might as well order it all and save on postage