Sign in to follow this  

Tips on replacing Main Jet !

Thanx heaps! So can it be done on the bike? or carb must be removed from bike? If so, do i need to tilt the rear subframe up for removal? (that what the book says!) or is it possible to remove from bike without tilting subframe?

Yes it can be done with the carb on the bike and no you dont need to tilt the subframe to change the main jet. Loosen the 2 clamps and rotate the carb for the best access to the bottom of the carb, and remove the 17mm(I think) plug on the bottom of the float bowl for access to the jets.

Changing the needle position is easier than changing the main jet IMO. Loosen the clamps rotate the carb, take the top motor mts off or just get them out of the way, remove the top cover from the carb, I twist the throttle wide open and secure it there while removing the needle.

For the main/pilot jet I rotate the carb as far as it will go. Then take the bowl off, after that I just use a very small craftman flat head for the pilot. Some thimes when it is not on my bike lift I will lay down on the ground to see what im doing. For the main jet I use a craftsman 6pt 6mm 3/8" socket. You just stick the socket up there, then put the ratchet on. If you put the ratchet and the socket together it won't fit.

For the needle I got a alan screwdriver that has a ball on the end of the tool. This allows for slight angle changes. When putting the screw back in use a dab of grease on the end of the alan tool. To remove the neddle I use a pair forceps/tweezers that I got from the last visit to the Emergency Room for stiches.

Hope this helps.

I have just completed air box mod (cut open). Can anyone give me any tips on rejetting! Do i need to rejet? how may sizes do i need to go up? and the last one is does the carb need to come out to replace main jet?

Thanx for your help!

:)http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/images/smilies/thinking.gif

If you are around sea level, here's my recommendation for a starting point:

Pilot - most use a 42 at ~2 1/2 turns out, I use a 45 @ ~1.5 turns out (stock pilot is 40)

Main - 158 (stock is 130)

Needle 2 clips richer than stock (position 6?)

You can do the rejet with the carb in the bike, theoretically, but it'll be faster and a lot less frustrating to raise the subframe and remove the shock to get to the carb. Just my opinion. The needle comes out of the top of the carb after you remove the gas tank. The little tool pack that comes with the bike has a needle-removal tool in it.

JayC