Sign in to follow this  

smoking 525

Hi

I have a KTM525sx. Yesterday while riding in a trail ride, I fell off and the bike tumbled a few times and landed upside down against a tree. After a little cry, I picked the bike up and finally got it going. However it was very smokey. I thought it was simply the fact that it had been upside down and oil getting into the cylinder chamber. But after riding it for a further 5 miles the smoke did not go away.

I am thinking I must have over revved it when I took a dive?

Before I take it to the shop to get the upper end done, is it possible its something else?

Thanks

Gary

Check and see if your crankcase vent is routed to the intake of the carb. It probably is. Oil can run from the crankcase to the carb if the bike is upside down, or close to upside down for any time. It is said it hurts nothing, although I prefer to re-route my vent.

you just got oil in the carb. re route the vent and add a un i filter on the end. also plug the old hole with a rubber cap and zip tie. i also bought a crancase breather valve from thumper racing.

some will disagree i'm sure but it seems to be a better way to go from what i have read and researched.