Sign in to follow this  

First attempt

i have owned my kxf 250 08 for about 6 mnths now and have a acl injury so whilst i cnt ride im gonna overhaul my bike. this is the first 4 stroke i have owned so never done any maintenence on one just the usual oil filters etc. the main reason i am doing anything is because i was able to push the kickstart with my hand, so i thought low compression = must need rings. is it ok to just do the rings and not the piston aswell? whilst getting down to the piston i thought i may aswell check my clearences. exhaust were 0.15mm both and intake were 0.10mm both, is that in tolerance???? so i got to the piston and the bore is perfect piston seems fine burnt around the top and on the head but other than that all good. when i took a look at the piston ring i could not see if the ring had a set point it pinched too like on a 2 stroke piston?? i know that when i put it back together it must be torqued up correctly so i am going to get a workshop manual for it, but when i rang a local kawasaki dealer they said it was £41 plus vat is that correct seems bit expensive????

Exhaust valves are tight. It should be between 0.17 - 0.22.

Intake are ok. That is 0.10 - 0.15.

What type of feeler gauges do you have? Most are too coarse and are hard to use for this application.

SHim the exhaust valves. Ususally you can swap out your shims at the dealer at a small cost. Just bring them in and trade for som coffee money.

Only 2-strokes have pins that keep the rings from spinning. It is not needed on a 4-stroke because there are nothing in the cylinder walls to snag the rings.

You can push the kickstarter because of the "automatic compression release". That´s the weight and spring assembly on the exhaust cam´s sprocket. So it´s normal, although of course some resistance should be felt.

PM me with your e-mail adress and will send you the PDF manual.

my feeler gauges are from halfords an imperial and metric set cost £3.99.

so for the ex valves i want to be aiming for 0.17 really as its best to have them on the tight end right??

i thought that was the case with the ring just wanted to make sure.

so as for being able to push the kickstart i knew the auto decopressor made it possible but would it still be worth putting in new rings??

although it starts first or second kick everytime never had a prob starting it ever.

You can measure the rings to see if they are in spec. This and how the piston rings need to be set on the piston is described in the manual.

There is lots of useful info in it, along with good pictures.

Like DK said,I hope you don't replace your piston everytime you can start it with your hand.Because you will be able to do it with a new piston anyways.

The exhaust valves were'nt to bad,mighta been like that from factory.I like to run mine at .08" wich I think thats = .15mm. Don't have my conversion chart infront of me.

Get an hour meter!

Like DK said,I hope you don't replace your piston everytime you can start it with your hand.Because you will be able to do it with a new piston anyways.=QOUTE]

no i wont, but you know what it is like when your new to something. That is why i like to ask people with more experience i.e you guys.

[QOUTE=The exhaust valves were'nt to bad,mighta been like that from factory.I like to run mine at .08" wich I think thats = .15mm. Don't have my conversion chart infront of me.=QOUTE]

so if i left them as they are it wont be an issue?? When would i wanna be looking to check them next and what is the tightest you would let them be??

DK can i just say thank you so much that pdf file is awsome is exactly what i was after saved me a lot of money!:)

DK can i just say thank you so much that pdf file is awsome is exactly what i was after saved me a lot of money!:)

Yeah it sure comes in handy.

Gimme some gas and we are even lol:thumbsup:

I actually serviced my rear shock on my own using that manual. It really explains it all the way through...

And all the torque charts are golden...

And the... hehe I´ll stop now...

which pdf manual are you guys talking about? Just the regualr service manual? I downloaded one for a 2006, mine is an '07. Got anything better for me for my Swedish amigo?

I have the 2006 as well, I was going to buy one for my 08, is it worth it? Im going to be shimming my valves somtime soon as they are on the loose side of the clearances.. I dont need one for that. I will be switching my rear shock and other stuff..

which pdf manual are you guys talking about? Just the regualr service manual? I downloaded one for a 2006, mine is an '07. Got anything better for me for my Swedish amigo?

No, it´s the same one. But it´s still ok to use. Not much changed between the years, as far as service goes, just settings...

If anyone gets ahold of one for the -09, feel free to share it:thumbsup:

How many hours on the bike. Only six months? That's not long unless you ride the heck out of it. I can start my kids bike with my hand so don't worry about that. That's normal.

DK i would be more than happy to give you gas but im not sure how i go about this?????

It´s the red gas can icon to the right in the posts --->

:)