Sign in to follow this  

05 cr250 honeing

going to order wiseco piston kit for the bike was wondering about honeing the cylinder . i can see fine criss cross marks in the cylinder from what looks like previous honeing reading forums and searching the web some people are saying dont hone the cylinders some are saying scotch pad is ok to take glazing off others say that causes hot spots, and you need diamond hone and it might damage the protective coteing i was just thinking about putting the piston and rings in without honing.. what are the pros and cons. im not sure who i could trust to take it to here where i live .

what has everyone been doing with theres .

I wouldnt worry about honing if I were you It should be just fine to put the piston in the way it is. I honed mine and its fine but I had a pretty good scuff in the cylinder wall that I was worried about. In other words it is probably up to you, most motocross guys say not to but all the kart guys I know swear by it.

No need to hone a plated cylinder. Scotch brite it with some 3n1 oil and wash it real good in soapy hot water.

I've heard of 3in1 oil before but I've never used it, is there a specific brand and place to buy it?

Any hardware or auto part store will have it.

I've heard of 3in1 oil before but I've never used it, is there a specific brand and place to buy it?

The brand is 3 in One. http://www.3inone.com/products/multi-purpose/. Try Wal-Mart.

I've never honed a plated cylinder. Just clean it up with a scotch brite pad in hot soapy water (dishing washing detergent) and rinse well with hot water. Oil with two stroke oil once your done and you should be ready to assemble.

The hone marks you see are from the factory, if you can't see hone marks then it is time to rehone. You don't need to deglase, or use 3 in 1, just clean the bore with soap and hot water, blow dry, then light of two stroke oil.