Sign in to follow this  

2008 450sxf wont start

Help needed, my 450sxf wont start and is leaking oil out of the crankcase breather. a short while back i dropped the bike (easy off) at a hare scramble and from then it wouldnt start. Didnt touch the bike for a week or so and then went back to the problem. Found dirt had got through into the head around the valves. Stripped the top off the motor cleaned it all out,spotless. The bore looked ok no damage. Clearances are ok. Built it back up with timing as per manual, double checked timing to make sure. Tried to start it but still the same its popping in the exhaust but it wont pick up. Still got a bit of oil out the breather and this never happened before the off. :)

Did you pin the crank and use the KTM cam bridge when timing the cams???

Thanks for reply. TDC was spot on, balance shaft dots lined up. holes in cam lobes dead in line with joint face and the flats on camshafts were parralel.

Do you think it could just be more in the carb?

Make sure you have a full charge on battery. Check to make sure you have spark. If you have compresion and spark all you need is fuel. Make sure you have fuel in the bowl. If its been sitting you may have a plugged pilot jet but it should at least try to start frm the fuel it gets from the ac pump.

Make sure you have a full charge on battery. Check to make sure you have spark. If you have compresion and spark all you need is fuel. Make sure you have fuel in the bowl. If its been sitting you may have a plugged pilot jet but it should at least try to start frm the fuel it gets from the ac pump.
Starting with full battery, fuel squirts in fine, compression seems to be ok./ Im doing nothing different to start it but it just will not have it. Tommorow im going to raid my mates bike. Cheers.