Sign in to follow this  

Trailer vs SUV for 2 dirt bikes?

Which option is best and why?

Byte

Trailers, can be had quite cheap and are easy to load and off-load bikes. However, you have to have somewhere to store it when not in use, and a vehicle to tow it with, which can be just about anything if it's small enough.

There will be more stress put on the cars transmission and engine, but it is minimal if you get a small trailer (i.e 5x8)

Trucks are expensive to buy, insure, and maintain when compare to a small trailer. They are harder to load, and unload. But they are easily stored in your driveway, can be driven offroad, and serve multiple purposes.

If I was on a budget, I would pick a small trailer, and tow it with my car.

Trailers, can be had quite cheap and are easy to load and off-load bikes. However, you have to have somewhere to store it when not in use, and a vehicle to tow it with, which can be just about anything if it's small enough.

There will be more stress put on the cars transmission and engine, but it is minimal if you get a small trailer (i.e 5x8)

Trucks are expensive to buy, insure, and maintain when compare to a small trailer. They are harder to load, and unload. But they are easily stored in your driveway, can be driven offroad, and serve multiple purposes.:)

But you still have to insure and maintain what your are pulling the trailer with be it car or suv.

I have 03 Tundra >and 5x8 trailer some times you need more room for gear or friends:thumbsup:

But you still have to insure and maintain what your are pulling the trailer with be it car or suv.

I have 03 Tundra >and 5x8 trailer some times you need more room for gear or friends:thumbsup:

Agreed, however; for people like me, that drive 120 miles round tip to work, a truck is not the best solution. Especially when fuel was $5.10 a gallon.

If he gets a car and trailer, he gets 25+ MPG, has a lower insurance premiums, and a generally lower cost of maintenance (i.e. tires, fuel, parts...), and money left over to ride and buy parts with:banana: .

Note: I have an 06 Ram 2500 Diesel with a trailer, and I think it's the cats ass; plenty of room for 4 or 5 guys, with gear, bikes and tents, not to mention it can pull 15,000 lbs + if needed.... but I still drive a Neon to work.

I just wanted to point out the pros and cons.

How many bikes are you hauling. If one, why not a small truck? Or like USMCPAUL many of us have two vehicles, one for work, one for fun....

Two bikes? Trailer all the way.

Get a 4X8, any brand (I prefer carry-on over Harbor Freight) and you're good to go.

You could cheap out and buy a 4X6, but in my experience it's not that great for the savings. The 4X6 may end up with a negative tongue weight depending on the size of the bike, there's no room for extra stuff like gas cans... 4X8 is really the way to go.

5X8 if you're thinking regular over night trips or possibly getting a third bike, like if you have kids.

You'll be set.

Buying another vehicle is overkill unless you've got something really really tiny like a smart car.

I tow two bikes and gear with a Miata on occasion, so I'm saying tiny - like Shriener's cars tiny.

Our Grand Am does very well with three bikes, four people, gear packed to the gills.

We just picked up one of these racks and works good.:)

http://www.motorcycleramps.com/double-motorcycle-hitch-carrier.htm

We also have a trailer but this makes it easy and also we don't have to take up a lot of storage space:banana:

And I can even load and unload the bikes on it:thumbsup:

Man, I've seen a single bike one of those and didn't really like how the bike sits on it. I can't imagine it with 2 sickles back there. That's a, awful lot of weight hanging quite far out off of your receiver and a lot of weight swinging side to side on bumps.

I'd stick with a trailer or light pickup if I was hauling 2 bikes.

I noticed that the hitch rack has an anti-tilt device that my buddy's does not have. How does it work? This side to side tilting is what worried me most about the system.

Also, doesn't the weight of two bikes (approx 500lb) hanging that far off your rear end tend to squat things pretty bad?

The anti tilt thingy works good. Plus we use 2 more straps to secure the rack. I was told also of a anit tilt hitch pin that we are going to pick up:thumbsup:

Now as to the extra weight in the back of our truck I really didn't have any issues with it.:)

We carry a DRZ400 (320) and a GasGas EC250 (210) so it does work out well for what we use it for.

Thansk guys.

I am from Austrlaia and do not really know what you guys call our utes so I tried SUV's.

I have two vehicle (land orver plus ford sedan) - No ute though.

So, I guess the trailer is it then?

Byte

Some people call SUVs Utes here. I'm guessing you're calling a vehicle with an open bed a Ute? I'd call it a pick-up.

Anyway, your land rover will tow just fine.