Sign in to follow this  

2005 CR250R - general opinions

I'm thinking of buying a used 2005 CR250 thats in great condition, has an FMF pipe and muffler and V force reeds. Anyone out there ridden a CR250 stock or standard. Are they as tame and boring as some claim? Its a toss up between that everyones old 2 stroke favourite the YZ250. any opinions on this bike?

If your getting an 06 yz...go for that over the cr.

But, the cr really isn't bad at all. If you jet it right, it makes great hp and runs ok. But it kinda has that honda WAAWAAAAA WAAA to it at times.

Mod they are really fast....

The chassis is good, suspension good....honda fit and finish (and price on parts....)

My brother rides an '06 YZ250, I ride an '02 CR250R, both bikes have pipes, V-Force reeds and dialed suspensions. Here is my take on how they compare, as always YMMV.

Steering: Honda 10, Yamaha 7 (the Honda is perfection in tight corners)

Handling: Honda 10, Yamaha 8.5 (the Honda out turns the Yam but doesn't give anything up on fast sweepers)

Ergos: Honda 10, Yamaha 8.5 (I'm 6'1", shorter rider may feel different, Yam feels a little cramped.

Engine: Yamaha 10, Honda 8 (the Yamaha is possibly the best 2T motor of all time, the Honda is very good, but the Yamaha has excellent tractable bottom, and plenty of sauce on top)

Suspension: Yamaha 9, Honda 9 (really close IMO, both are better than you are)

High speed handling: Yamaha 9, Honda 9 (surprisingly the Hon isn't twitchy at speed or through whoops, both are a laser)

Relaibility: Honda 10, Yamaha 10 (these brands are the best in the biz for quality, Yam has come a long way)

In the end, my brother is happy he chose the Yamaha, and I'm happy I chose the Honda, you can't go wrong with any of the later bikes (KX, RM, KTM, etc.) they are all phenominal.

• Like 1

My brother rides an '06 YZ250, I ride an '02 CR250R, both bikes have pipes, V-Force reeds and dialed suspensions. Here is my take on how they compare, as always YMMV.

Steering: Honda 10, Yamaha 7 (the Honda is perfection in tight corners)

Handling: Honda 10, Yamaha 8.5 (the Honda out turns the Yam but doesn't give anything up on fast sweepers)

Ergos: Honda 10, Yamaha 8.5 (I'm 6'1", shorter rider may feel different, Yam feels a little cramped.

Engine: Yamaha 10, Honda 8 (the Yamaha is possibly the best 2T motor of all time, the Honda is very good, but the Yamaha has excellent tractable bottom, and plenty of sauce on top)

Suspension: Yamaha 9, Honda 9 (really close IMO, both are better than you are)

High speed handling: Yamaha 9, Honda 9 (surprisingly the Hon isn't twitchy at speed or through whoops, both are a laser)

Relaibility: Honda 10, Yamaha 10 (these brands are the best in the biz for quality, Yam has come a long way)

In the end, my brother is happy he chose the Yamaha, and I'm happy I chose the Honda, you can't go wrong with any of the later bikes (KX, RM, KTM, etc.) they are all phenominal.

ive owned both and i agree with what this man said 100% :) great comparison:ride:

I have an '05 CR250R and it's a very reliable bike once you jet it right. I have the V-Force Reeds and went up 2 teeth on the rear sprocket other than that it's stock. It kinda has a strange throttle response but once you get used to it it's like it's not even there. All in All it's a great bike and you won't be disappointed.