Sign in to follow this  

1998 RM250 vin plate missing...

I got a 98 RM250 last week and there was no title. No biggie.

I am going to be ordering some parts for it and wanted to confirm the year exactly. I looked up where the vin plate should be on the steering and there was a sticker covering where the plate should have been...

very suspicious. Don't think the guy I got it from knew it wasn't there, but...

I was glancing at the frame, trying to see where it'd be stamped, but couldn't find it.

Any ideas where SPECIFICALLY to look?

There is no plate, the numbers are stamped on the right side of the steering stem. If the numbers have been ground away or filled in your bike is probably hot.:)

It sounds like it is a hot bike. There should be engine numbers that could help you though....I hope you didnt pay to much for it.

there is only one place for the Vin it should be 17 digits long and would be on the right hand side of the steering stem. I would take the bike back asap! You will not be able to get a lost title or reg without a vin. I dont know if you need ORV tabs where you live, but getting them will be impossible. Take it back and demand your money back!

Tom

Taking it back will be near impossible; What/where would I check on the engine for any info??

If the numbers are like my 2000 it wouldn't take much to hide them, if the frame has been powedercoated theyre probably hiding underneath, even paint could hide them, On the other hand if you can see grinding/sanding marks then you might have a problem

my buddies 97 which has been painted is nearly impossible to read.

Only other suggestion is to find a legal frame with VIN and move everything over.

If the numbers are like my 2000 it wouldn't take much to hide them, if the frame has been powedercoated theyre probably hiding underneath, even paint could hide them, On the other hand if you can see grinding/sanding marks then you might have a problem

my buddies 97 which has been painted is nearly impossible to read.

Only other suggestion is to find a legal frame with VIN and move everything over.

I painted my frame and my vin number is almost impossible to read.

My local offroad place doesn't require any registration, so I'm ok. Still sucks tho -