Sign in to follow this  

My new toy... 390 cr

Hey all..

I just picked this one up the other day. I am pretty excited about it. All it cost me was a case of Heineken. With the deal I got 2 extra frames, and 2 250 or motors... the catch is.. 2 owners ago broke the clutch cable on a long ride, had to ride it back as a "crashbox" no clutch, so tranny is in questionable condition, shifts through the gears. I will drain it and replace the cable to see exactly how it is. Hasn't run in a few years.

Here are my questions..

If in fact the tranny is junk, open it up and find the parts to rebuild it, or.. swap over to an or tranny (390 that is..) or put together the 250or motor and run it as a 250 for now..its just going to be a trail bike for me, on occasion. I couldn't pass it up. I will flip flop between the MT250 and the Xl500R..

How are they to ride, how were the 250's, which would better suit my needs (Im' leaning towards keeping it a 390..) I am 6' 225lbs. I am a moderate rider, not a whoops and jumps kind of guy, trails and fields with the kids (grownups too..)

thanks

IMG_0257.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

All three of those bikes were FREE!!!!!

the MT I traded a CB400f ss project for (that was given to me..) and the XL I traded an International Cub Cadet for (that was also given to me..).

I would not worry about the gears, about the only time I use my clutch is to start and I hammer mine on the mx track with no problems

Wow, what a deal. Looks like you have a great project bike. Enjoy.

I just picked up a '79 390 OR (in several pieces) .. seems the rear brake rod is missing. Probably other bits as well.

Anyway...I'll get it going and see what it's like.:)

My Dad has a 390 that he racers. Its a great bike. Like it was said the only time that he uses the clutch is when he takes off the line. other then that its just bang them though the gears. I do the same thing on my 72 250 and 76 rm370. I never use the clutch. bikes look great. Good Find!!!!!