Sign in to follow this  

Any one have any sugestions? Im looking at a 2002 YZ 250 owned by a old man who barley rode it and is in great shape for 1800, or a 2000 ktm 200mxc also in great shape the ktm is also 1800. im sure I can get the KTM for 1600 and the YZ for 1700. I do mostly trail riding, couple jumps here and there not much though. I have no experience with yamaha or ktm bikes, Ive been strictly honda. Just seeing if someone could shed the light on which bike may suit me better

5'9

170 lbs

intermediate rider

prefer low maintance

Due to your size and weight, the KTM. I'd say if you ever find the 200 to be lacking (unlikely) go and get the YZ250. Both ought to be equally reliable with the Yamaha parts simply costing less per item.

If the KTM is noticebly shagged compared to the YZ, get the YZ and ask me how to dumb it down - hint: it's sorta hard to do.

I have a 02 ktm200mxc and my son owns a 02 yz250 with the only mod being a fmf fatty pipe. My boy loves the power delivery on his yz. Great low end power and easily rideable in tight woods. My 02 200mxc is a differant story, it has more of a hit in the midrange and sometimes breaks loose when you don't expect it to even though i have tried to tame it down with a torque spacer and proper jetting. My boy is also about 170 lbs. Overall I would go with the yamaha.

I have a 02 ktm200mxc and my son owns a 02 yz250 with the only mod being a fmf fatty pipe. My boy loves the power delivery on his yz. Great low end power and easily rideable in tight woods. My 02 200mxc is a differant story, it has more of a hit in the midrange and sometimes breaks loose when you don't expect it to even though i have tried to tame it down with a torque spacer and proper jetting. My boy is also about 170 lbs. Overall I would go with the yamaha.

Dial the power valve in.   It makes a noticeable difference.

Ooops, I'm old and slow...

Hahaha I saw the date and thought I wonder if he knows this is 6 years old.

I wonder what he got?

I wish we knew cause im thinking of getting another bike and Im kinda thinking either a ktm 200 or a yz.

Hahaha I saw the date and thought I wonder if he knows this is 6 years old..

It was late and I was buzzed...  Shit happens.   :excuseme:

On a side note I just bought a 200MXC.

It was late and I was buzzed...  Shit happens.   :excuseme:

On a side note I just bought a 200MXC.

yeah hahaha! Do you like your mxc?
  • Like 1

yeah hahaha! Do you like your mxc?

It's being shipped here right now. 

At least I didn't ask if it was 6.5 feet long... 

• Like 1

I say go with the yz, i just bought a ktm (2002) and all the old year ktm (before 04-05) were basically crap. The 250 will be a little more work on the trails but u can make that better with a rekluse clutch system and maybe a flywheel weight if you are feeling it

I say go with the yz, i just bought a ktm (2002) and all the old year ktm (before 04-05) were basically crap. The 250 will be a little more work on the trails but u can make that better with a rekluse clutch system and maybe a flywheel weight if you are feeling it

Generalized opinions like that aren't uncommon, they are basically crap though.

Johnny, you have no idea what your talking about...You have to do some suspension work but the ktm 200 is a GREAT bike and can walk away from a bigger bike in the right hands in it's ideal environment. Any bike you get is going to need to be dialed in to your preference to be ideal. Put a little effort in and you will be rewarded.

Edited by Hukamosh
  • Like 1