Sign in to follow this  

handle bar Grips?

Hey guys,

Easy question....Got some new Scott grips on my handlebars for my KTM 300. They are on, but the are not that tight. I mean tehir tight, but I can twist them on the bar and I don't want them rolling around while I'm riding. Should I have installed some sort of glue onside or will these eventually just 'stick' to the bars. What should my next step be?

Did you just push them on with no adhesive? Grips should always be glued on to ensure they don't roll when riding. There are multiple manufactures of grip adhesives that would work quite well.

I use glue and then safety wire them on also I always have done that for the last 20 years anyway. I just put a set of lock on grips on my mountainbike and think I might try them out on the dirt bike next time around also they are sweet.

hair spray and safety wire !

I have heard that, dose it come loose when wet? I even heard spray paint and WD-40 work also.

air compressor and safety wire is what I use and have since 03. I use super tacky Oury grips though. no slippage.

Scott grip glue and safety wire religiousely. Never had a single problem doing this.

Scott makes these little packets that are just big enough for 2 grips. Works great.

scott-GripGlue.jpg

pic of this safety wire?

thanks yzman.

how do u ensure the ends of this wire does not stick out and protrufde?

Byte

You twist the 2 ends together so its tight, but not so tight that you cut the grip in half (yes it can be done). Make sure the ends are at the bottom of the grip. Then cut it so its about 1/4" long. Bend the very end 90 deg towards the back of the bike. Then bend/bury the whole thing into the grip. You wont even know its there.

I always do 3 loops. One on both end of the grip and one in the middle. Most grips have grooves for the wire to run in.

My last pair I did with safety wire no glue. They have been good. Be careful with the air compressor, my friend was running the air gun while I pressed the grip on. He forget to let go of the air gun lever and my grip looked like a balloon. It eventually whent close to normal, but not completly.

Gorilla glue works very well and i have read many times that others recommend it too. safety wire is not always needed if you run handguards like most for offroad.

Joe

hey thanks guys, went and got that little packet of scotts glue and their not going anywhere. Thanks!