aftermarket rear shock drz125?

I have done searches here for upgrading my rear suspension of the drz125. I just bought rm85 forks and do know of the CR85 rear shock conversion. Are there any aftermarket rear shocks made for this bike that just bolt on? It seems impossible to find anything out there...thanks.

Works performance makes a line of shocks specificly for the 125. They are direct replacement bolt ons.

Tom

they are good shocks, but for a ~$400 price tag, not worth it imo, when you can get a fairly new cr85 shock on ebay for under $100, and imo, its a better shock...

He said he was aware of the Cr 85 conversion already, I was just trying to give him the aftermarket alternative. Why do you think its a better shock Suzook? Im just wondering because I dont have any experience with the CR shock on the standard swing arm, only on the kx 100 swing arm. In that application the shock seemed way to soft with very little rebound (Im guessing that may be due to the fact the kx swingarm has more leverage because its longer? ?) Anybody else have any experience with BOTH shocks on the standard swingarm? Did you have to replace the spring to a stiffer rate?

Tom

I have compared them both side by side, the cr is noticely "beefier" all the parts seem to be made for for funtionality and durability, where the works shock has more "bling"

I have ridden a drz 170 with a works shock, it offered a nice ride, but it was very harsh, and it bottomed out really easy over simple obstacles like whoops (me and the owner of the bike had pretty similar weights at 170 and 180, at the time)

But some simple tuning may alleviate it.

Sorry if i interjected, just wanted to point out the works shock value, versus the CR's...

I think the works shock you saw must have been defective. Maybe the lower end works shocks are skimpy? :banghead: The shaft on my works is much larger than a cr85's. And dont worry, your not interjecting, you just have different experiences than me with regards to the two shocks. Thats why Im asking Broader knowledge is a good thing! ?

Tom

thanks guys for the input. At least I have an aftermarket item to research and compare to the cr85 conversion. I didnt even know what a resonable price on the aftermarket would be. Appears you pay 3-4 times more for the ease of installing. How daunting of a task was it for your to do the cr swap? seems like some play work up top and drilling/tapping the bottom mount hole, cuttingoff the remainder bottom? . What about just getting a kxrm100 shock, any fab work on that besides the chain roller? I have stock swing arm now. It appeared that the complete rm100 rear swap was definately challenging, have many people gone that route? Thanks again...

I think the works shock you saw must have been defective. Maybe the lower end works shocks are skimpy? :banghead: The shaft on my works is much larger than a cr85's. And dont worry, your not interjecting, you just have different experiences than me with regards to the two shocks. Thats why Im asking Broader knowledge is a good thing! ?

Tom

hmm, this was 3 years ago too, so perhaps the design has changed... :banghead:

i googled works connection and found their page, but it was like an applications page for shocks... is there any vendors that actually carry this shock so that I can look at it at least. thanks. will also keep tabs on the cr85 mod...

its not works connection... its called works performance shocks

http://www.worksperformance.com/html/home.html

http://www.worksperformance.com/html/dirt.html

Thanks for the info, finally found the works performance shock....question...is says it is stated for weight range of 120-180lbs...With my winter fat I have accumulated, I am 190 right now. I plan to lose about 10lbs, but with gear and all, thats a moot point..Would this shock still be suitable for the application, or is there a beefier one...

sorry for being a pain, i just would like to get one and get over it...

what about the cr85 shock as well, it looks beefier, will that hold up to that weight as well?

I dont know how much stock to put into the weight figures, I have seen guys 230-250 riding I-shocks on crf50s and drz 110s...

Thanks for the info, finally found the works performance shock....question...is says it is stated for weight range of 120-180lbs...With my winter fat I have accumulated, I am 190 right now. I plan to lose about 10lbs, but with gear and all, thats a moot point..Would this shock still be suitable for the application, or is there a beefier one...

sorry for being a pain, i just would like to get one and get over it...

what about the cr85 shock as well, it looks beefier, will that hold up to that weight as well?

I dont know how much stock to put into the weight figures, I have seen guys 230-250 riding I-shocks on crf50s and drz 110s...

the works shock rating is measured for your "naked weight"... I think...

and I weigh 190, and my cr85 shock has the stock spring, and is plenty stiff

I believe they are taking into account what you weigh ready to ride (all gear on). If you were to order a shock from works, they will ask you your weight. It is a custom shock, so it would be setup before leaving the shop. CR shocks are MUCH cheaper and maybe not a bad way to go. If you feel as though something is lacking, then you could step up. (In all honesty, its hard to see how good a works shock is until you ride them back to back.) The Cr shock works great, and is very cheap. tough combo to beat!

Tom

what about durability issues on the works performance shocks? I have a friend that reminded me back to 2001 -2002 when we were just starting to hop up our xr50s. I went with an I-shock back then but a few of my friends went with Works performance 50 shocks, and all 3 of them blew theirs out.

I figure that maybe that since this shock is charged and you have it set up for my weight, it maybe durable.

I have to find out if they offer any type of warranty on their shock.

Thanks for all the info.

Chris.

I ran my shock with zero problems for the past 6 years (I would freshen it up after every other season). I am a intermediate class big bike rider. I have 2 other friends who started with the Cr shocks and have been running the works shocks for about the past 3-4 years. No problem with any of them (they dont freshen them up, but they also run the beginner class) I am in no way associated with works performance by the way, I have just had really good luck with them. I know I sound like a salesman. Thats my experience anyways.

Tom

another question Tom, is there any problems with using this works performance shock if I decide to move on the rm/kx 100 swingarm?

I have seen photos of bikes with rear disc brakes and what appears to be the rm/kx swing arm (noticing the axleblocks).

I guess if it doesnt fit, I could sell it... I think I will call denniskirk next monday and give them my specs. I know it costs more $ but its seems like a nice mod, plus new.

thanks for all the input. This bike has very little on the aftermarket side. I am used to modding out my crf50, ttr, and when i had a pitster x4r. I got rid of the x4r to do this drz project.

I am also going to need help finding tall seat foam and gripper cover (havent seen a complete seat). Foot pegs, throttle tube, and bars... i have seen bar usage from renthal crf150r to protaper honda xrmini.. I would prefer to go with the Pro taper fatbar. foot pegs only seem to be on ebay, chinese.

i didnt check around on denniskirk, will do that.. any other good vendors that supply for this bike?