Sign in to follow this  

Another Edelbrock Pumper Problem/Question, XR400 With Cruise COntrol

Trying to get this bike ready for a race.

Once started, if you blip the throttle, the bike stays at high RPM. If you blip it again it goes to a higher RPM. Blip it a 3rd time it returns to idle.(sometimes one blip will return it to idle, sometimes it akes 4 blips, all the while increasing RPMs each step of the way until it decides to return)

We have checked the cables, linakge and replaced the pumper on the side. All of the moving parts are snapping back perfectly, not sure why the idle should/would stay high with the pump/slide closed.....?

Any ideas/suggestions?

Chris

Is it possibly running lean?? If you've ever run out of gas you'll notice the rpm's shoot pretty high before it shuts down.

are you saying your cables are sticking?

I found the motion pro cables are using thicker wire then the honda cables and don't slide aswell around in the throttle housing.

Even with pump arm disconnected it still didn't shut, so that little spring is way to weak when you compare it to honda carb.

I've had another one made it's good as now. It's 1.5 mm high tensile so it's not quite double thickness of the eddys orginal.

I had a similar thing going on with my pumper and I swore my cables were fine. After checking everything I finally ran the bike with the cables removed and the problem went away. I would try pulling the cables off and just to fully eliminate them.

also, check for an air leak on the engine side of the carb.

x2. did you replace and/or clean the o ring on the manifold when you took it off to put the carb on? sometimes that little bugger just pops out and you don't even notice and that could cause an air leak.

I imagine you have solved this by now - if not:

Make sure the set screw (tiny) that secures the pump 'wheel' to the throttle shaft is tight. Mine was loose and acted the same way.

--Kevin