cleaning a frame

my frame has years of baked on dirt on it (from a previous owner) and i want to get it new looking. ive tried simple green and scotch brite, foamy engine cleaner and scotch brite, and even a wire brush on the non visable parts. nothing is making it any cleaner.

i have a blasting gun and walnut shell media and am wondering if i can clean it with that. the aluminum looks like it has a clear coat on it to prevent corrosion. i can see the ocean from my house, so corrosion is a threat.

any ideas?

you swear by that maroon pad dont cha. in all the cleaning threads i searched you are in them all preaching the maroon scotchbrite pad. unfortunately ive tried the maroon pad and it did get it less dirty but its still not "clean"

is there a clear coat over the aluminum? or can i go to town with the blaster?

i do use that maroon one on everything else, ive got a nice stack of them for when they might be useful.

The spar's are easy to clean with just about anything. My guess is that you are looking to clean the areas below the spar's. The course area.

I have actually used a diluted aluminum brightner, a small cup, tooth brush, rubber gloves and goggles.

Carefully apply with toothbrush by dipping it into the cup of diluted brightner. don't get it on anything else. Scrub with brush and rinse. Do a small section at a time.

I have a pontoon and use Toonbrite all the time on the toons. So, I had some experience with it and then the idea came to me one day.

I know that I can do it without messing up everything but I do not recommend it if you are not careful or tedious.

The frame does not have a clear coat from the factory.

my frame has years of baked on dirt on it (from a previous owner) and i want to get it new looking. ive tried simple green and scotch brite, foamy engine cleaner and scotch brite, and even a wire brush on the non visable parts. nothing is making it any cleaner.

i have a blasting gun and walnut shell media and am wondering if i can clean it with that. the aluminum looks like it has a clear coat on it to prevent corrosion. i can see the ocean from my house, so corrosion is a threat.

any ideas?

I use SOS pads and it makes the aluminum shine up/clean up like new. It does a seriously good job and not a lot of effort, either.

I found a product on the net ages ago that works, spray on, and hose off and its like new.. But it was for trucks and they only sold massive barrels of the stuff.. I cant remember the name, keep looking tho its out there! I even think i saw it on tt in a forum.

• 4 years later...

I'm currently in the process of polishing my 2009 CRF450R frame with maroon scotchbrite and WD-40.. the flat sides of the frame come out better than other areas. Also tried the maroon scotchbrite and wd-40 on the swing arm, didn't clean-up as well as the frame. I don't want the mirror polished look that some guys on here achieve. I simply want the factory original (fresh/clean) look on the frame.  

Question - after I polish the frame with the scotchbrite and WD-40, do I need to use some kind of clear coat to seal and protect the frame from oxidation or discoloring.? 

Thanks.
JL