Sign in to follow this  

Air Box Check Hose??

Hi guys.

I'm doing some small maintenance on my XT250 today and I've found something, I'm not sure about. Not sure if it's common or a indication of a problem etc...

Basically, I was checking the air filter in my motorcycle and found it had some debris in there. It's not totally clogged by any means and in fact I have a new air filter already on the way in, as part of the maintenance I've planned for taking it out of storage for Spring.

Anyways, at the bottom of the air box there is a clear rubber hose about an inch long, called the 'air filter check hose'. I noticed it was just about filled with liquid (water or/and oil I think - yellowish in color).

I unhooked the clamp around the hose and drained it. I put it back on and noticed a little more liquid gathering in the hose. I opened the air box enough to see the bottom of the air case, but there was very little (less then a tablespoon full) of liquid remaining. I drained it as best I could though the check hose hole.

The XT250 air filter check house is indicated by "1":

XT250_aircheckhouse1.jpg

My questions:

1. Is this normal - to find some liquid in the bottom of the air box, in the check hose? I'm not sure if it gathered there over the winter (likely not), but likely there from last year's riding season.

The manual suggests to check the air filter check hose when we check/change out the air filter. It only mentions to check it and clean it if there is water/debris in it, no other advice is mentioned.

2. Is there something wrong with my air in-take?

3. Does a clogged air filter cause liquid/water to gather in the bottom of the air box?

What do you guys think?

Any and all input on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance for your time and replies.

Cheers.

I know sometimes with a soak-type filter, excess oil can drain into that plug. As long as you don't have a whack of it in there, it should be fine. You also might want to check the seals on your airbox and make sure that they are still functional; sometimes the o-rings/foam strips can deteriorate and stuff will seep in that way.

Thanks so much for your reply. I'm happy to hear this is normal.

I checked the air box seal, it looks fine. I looked into the bottom of the air box and there is little to no fluid there now at all.

The XT250 air filter is a paper - replaceable air filter and oil is not installed on it.

What is it that usually gathers, water from condensation?

thanks

That's why I thought to check those seals. Condensation shouldn't collect in volume like you have indicated; have you dumped it over recently? Sometimes when the bike gets dropped, it can flood and you might end up with fuel seepage. Have you pulled off your air filter and checked around the opening of the intake? That might give you some indication if you have any kind of drainage out of your carb. Keep an eye on it anyway, and see if you get any more of that sludge in that plug.

Hi Shewolf: No, it has not been dumped recently at all. In fact it is still in winter storage for the past 4 months.

Have you pulled off your air filter and checked around the opening of the intake? That might give you some indication if you have any kind of drainage out of your carb.

I had a look in the air filter - it's bone dry, but some leaves stuck in there, which I cleared out. The bottom of the air box was a little went (about a tablespoon of liquid which I drained out through the hose hole).

Keep an eye on it anyway, and see if you get any more of that sludge in that plug.

Will do, thank you for your suggestions. The hose is clean now, I'll reinstall it and keep an eye on it.

Cheers and thanks.