Sign in to follow this  

drz400s fcr basic setup?

I've looked everywhere, mainly because I couldn't believe it wasn't out there already, but finally I have to surrender and ask for jetting help. I have a drz400s, sea level, with 3x3 airbox mod and stock pipe with the end restrictor drilled out. Motor is completely S model stock. I ride off road, year round, in rain, snow, ice, mud, heatwaves, and whatever New England can throw at me. For an older style slant body FCR 39, what should my jetting specs be? It seems like my setup would be a basic one covered a thousand times over, but I can't seem to find it posted anywhere. Thanks

I've got a 2009 DR-Z400SM with a slant-bodied FCR39 that came off a 2002 DR-Z400E.

I used the Sudco adapter for the carb bellmouth so I could use the stock airbox boot.

(The S and SM come with the exact same engine specs., so this should hold true for your bike.)

When I first put the carb on my bike, everything else was stock except for the 3X3 hole in the top of the airbox - stock exhaust, stock air filter, etc.

I ran it like that for a bit and it ran perfectly.

Going from memory (I'll search and edit if I'm wrong), here's the jetting I used, which is simply what I read elsewhere on this message board and is the recommended specs:

160 main jet

EMN needle, clip in 3rd groove

45 pilot jet

200 main air jet

100 pilot air jet

Fuel screw 2 turns out

Coasting enrichener removed and nipple plugged

Bike started, idled, ran, and behaved perfectly from the start and continues to do so.

I've since put a decent selection of mods into the engine and exhaust, and I haven't felt a need to mess with the carb at all, save for turning the fuel screw out an additional 1/4 turn.

you'll be good to go with the current jetting in the carb.no worries.

if need be you can drop the needle.

OK thanks. My main concern was threads with these specs in them were from people running an aftermarket pipe and I wondered whether that made enough of a difference to require different jetting. But if you're saying it ran great for you with the stock pipe, I'm good with that! :)