Sign in to follow this  

Worn out cam bucket bores

A friend brought over his CRF250R head and one of the bores the cam bucket rides in was totally worn so the bucket would rock back and forth at least 20 degrees! I found another used head in my collection of parts I was going to give him and it had the same problem. Is there someone who can repair this? It seems Honda made the buckets about 4 or 5mm too short or this would never happen. Thanks

Yes, we can.... and it's actually a good thing to have bigger diameter buckets in there.

We run bigger dia in our pro bikes. It's easier on the valve train.

Send me a PM for pricing.

How is a bugger bucket easier on the valvetrain. Seems he bucket holds the shim and the shim presses the calce stem down. Can't imagine extra material around the shim makes a difference. I am sure I am missing something. Can you explain this?

Having a larger lifter diameter alows the engine builder to use a cam with a higher maximum velocity .The honda is velocity limited with its smaller intake lifter as compared to the kawasaki and suzuki .with some of the cams were having made the lobes is actually off the edge of the lifter you can only get away with a slight amount on theses small engines because of the lighter spring forces and the better materials the cam lobes are made from .we use a lifter from a kawasaki ex bore its 1.5 mm larger and no bearing work needs to be done or cam clearancing .with a stock or mild cam theres no advantage to the larger lifter .an easy way of testing your cam on your lifter is to ink the lobe and see what type of print it produces on the cam bucket and lobe if it leaves a nice rectangle on the bucket ending before the edges of the bucket its very safe ,if the ink is all the way out to the edge then you need to look @ the cam lobe up near its maximum velocity point near the nose if there is any thing around 4mm width being printed then this is a serious race cam and should be checked every week end for wear.