Sign in to follow this  

How many have given up street bikes and returned to dirt?

I started when I was a kid on a 78 KE100, beat it up but good. Started riding street bikes awhile back (73 CL350 then a CB550, still have it, hasn't been on the road since 03') Now I went back to dirt and picked up a few for my kids, (XR80, MR50, Z50 and a bunch of 60cc mini enduro's, I can't get away from vintage....) I have my 5th ready to be born this summer, can't wait till we are all on bikes, my wife too....

Anyway.. how many have found themselves back in the dirt, or at least pining away for it?

75' Honda MT250

82' Honda XL500R

79' Husky 390cr

75' Honda CB550

75' Honda MR50

78' Honda Z50

94' Honda XR80R

4 72' Yamaha JT1 60cc mini enduro's

i'm with ya. grew up on asphalt. trail riding & enduro bikes got real appealing 5 years ago for me, i seen the light & sold the last street bike then. now still dont get enough off-road but i only have enduros so i'm half way there. want to get the wife on one too to accompany me.

I sold my last street bike when I realized that I have more fun at 20 mph in the woods than I do at 140 on the street. As far as cruise-style riding on the street, I just don't get it. I need to be testing my skill. I tried keeping a non-sport street bike around to run errands in the summer, but I refuse to ride without a helmet, so that turned out to be a pain in the neck. It's sooo much easier to jump in a car.

Been hooked on both. However, the street is not only boring but dangerous, as we all know. I ride to work in the spring summer, to save fuel cost and also ensures a spot on the ferry when there are long tourist / vacationer lines. BUT! most of all I like playing in the dirt.

started in the dirt with an 82 dt100, then an xs 400 heritage special when i got old enough to get my license. various other bikes through the years but i sold my 84 nighthawk 750 (that i had for about 12 years) last year to get my klr. i have always loved the dirt.

Like a lot of guys, I started on dirt bikes because at 15 years old, I was too young to get a street learner's permit.

Plus, I didn't have any interest in those heavy-looking street bikes at the time, anyway.

This was September of 1981.

Back then, there were a number of places that I could ride off-road without instantly getting arrested since these were the times before the environmental movement was going, at least to the point that it is today where making a tire track on the ground is something to be ashamed of.

Also, seeming to be spurred-on by the 3-wheeled ATV sue-fest from around 1986-ish, there suddenly appeared a lot more NO TRESSPASSING and KEEP OUT signs which made finding a place to ride more difficult.

After having my riding buddies grow up and have kids of their own and other matters in life, as well as grow tired of riding in the same ol' spot since all other spots were off limits, I bought my first street-only motorcycle in April of 1993.

This was a breath of fresh air, having substantially more power at my disposal and taking advantage of modern sport tires.

I really enjoyed these bikes and had a lot of great rides.

Up until this past October, I owned sport bikes with the occasional dual-purpose bike along with it to use in the off-sport-bike season (fall, winter, early spring).

Occasionally, I'd think about how great it would be to own a modern YZ-450F and be able to ride for hours on some nice terrain, but, that means buying a big plot of land for myself to do it in, and even then, I'd fully expect some hassle from townsfolk about something.

Someday, maybe.

Now, I've got the DR-Z400SM, basically a dirt bike with sport bike tires and a sport bike front brake.

A whole lot of fun (once the engine and front brake are modified for more power).

I decided to buy it mainly because although that new 2009 cross-plane crankshaft YZF-R1 looks awfully sweet, I just didn't feel like spending the money this time around.

I'm not sad, though, because the DR-Z is very good on the backroads where light weight means a whole lot.

Haven't been without both a dirt playbike and a street bike for 27 years now... :)

Started riding on the street 12 years ago on a bike that was old enough to vote.

Still riding on the street.

Started riding dirt last year. I like both, two very different yet equally challenging environments.

1983 - 1982 XT250

1985 - 1985 CB700SC Nighthawk S. Sold the XT, intended to get an XR350 but it never happened

1989 - Sold the CB700SC

1989 - Move to MN, raise a family

2000 - 1985 ZX900-A2 Ninja (Tom Cruise Top Gun Model)

2005 - 2006 KLR650 - Finally returned to dirt. I don't know why I ever left

2006 - 2001 WR250F - Was supposed to be for my wife, but too much too soon

2006 - 2006 TT-R230 - Much better for her to start on

2007 - 1999 YZ125 - bought and sold

2007 - 1978 XS750 - bought and sold

2007 - 2007 EX250 - Wifes baby rice rocket

2007 - 2003 KTM 525(570) SX Dual Sport - Traded the Ninja for it. A little much for trail riding, but fun for pulling wheelies on the freeway

2008 - 2003 PW80 - Easy to get more riding in when the grandkids go with you

2008 - Sold the KTM

2009 - 1979 DT100F - Currently resurrecting this one from the dead.

12 motorcycles

Street - 3

Dual Sport - 3

Dirt - 6

And the dirt wins.

Those KTM 525s are something from what I've read.

Right now the street is not agreeing with me. The weather sucks, I blew a head gasket on my dedicated street machine and my XT doesn't want to do it and blew the CDI. That means no dirt either.

yes .... i returned to the dirt after many years of terrorizing the community on my heavily modified ZX 12R .... i still cant look too long at the 09 busa , i just get the desire to get out there and :lol: .... or maybe TURBO busa :thumbsup:

I have both, and enjoy both for what they are. But getting up in age slightly and find that the bike I want to reach for on a daily basis is my trusty DR 350S. Much lighter than the GSX and just perfect for my short commute. I can ride it off-road if I want, and it seems to do both pretty well. That said, I still like a nice sub-200 lb. 2 stroke dirt bike to toss around in the woods.

I'll try to make this kind of short. I, Like most young ones, started in the dirt. My first motorcycle after the mini bike was a Honda 50. Next was a Suzuki 50. Then a Kawasaki 90. Then a Yamaha CT175. That was my favorite.

I had about eight bikes all at once at one point of time, all in various stages of running and not.

When I got old enough to ride on the street I bought a new KLR 250. I beat the crap out of it for about one year then traded it for a little Suzuki 250 street bike. Then I bought the KLR back for $100.00.

After that I had a few more small street bikes. Then in my 20's I got into a couple of Honda odesy's and a couple Honda Quads. I sold all of it when I turned 31. I was afraid of getting hurt to bad because I would always push it to the limit.

Then I bought an old basket case Harley and did a total rebuild. Since then I have had quite a few Harleys along with other street bikes.

It's been a few years now since I had a bike. I have been into 4X4 rock crawling for the past two years.

I just sold my 4X4 and am now in the market for a bike. I have been shopping around to see what is best for my needs and I will most likely be getting a Honda XR650R tagged. I plan on hitting the side roads and back trails all around Arizona and would like to get there on the bike, not a trailer.

So there it is. My first post. I'll be sure to post some pictures of my new ride when I get it.

See you on the trails, Mike

Got bit by the street bug after a stint at MMI ( all those dyno runs on gixxer 750s did me in) Bought a brand new SV650 after graduation put 5000 miles on it, moved outta NorCal for the second time and the poor SV sits in my shop to this day. The last time it was ridden was December 06. Man I need to sell that damn thing!

gave up motocross in the 8th grade in 83, for football, got full ride and when I was done with college got into harleys big time. In 2004 went to a harescramble and bought a dirtbike 14 days later. Now I have 3 #1 plates on my wall and barley look at my harleys.

As I'm finishing up dual sporting my 350, I'm selling the Super Hawk. Awesome bike, but I just keep finding myself going faster than I need too. :lol:

LOVE the sound and feel of the midsize thumper, and I have fun at sub 60mph speeds. :thumbsup:

my 1st ride was a 78 yami 125 enduro.then a honda 360 t then 450 honda any way i got out of bikes for a long time till a neighbor asked me to check out his 125 yz i fell in love all over again now i have an xt 600 rough as heck but im using for srtictly as a dirt bike till i can get a smaller one in the mountains its hard for me to toss this bike around:ride:

Got bit by the street bug after a stint at MMI ( all those dyno runs on gixxer 750s did me in) Bought a brand new SV650 after graduation put 5000 miles on it, moved outta NorCal for the second time and the poor SV sits in my shop to this day. The last time it was ridden was December 06. Man I need to sell that damn thing!
If you weren't so far away, I'd take it off your hands. My little brother is looking for a street bike and being a complete novice without two firing brain cells to rub together, keeps asking me if this GSXR or that CBR, etc is a good deal. I fear he's going to be pavement pizza in no time flat. Maybe the DUI that's on his record will make the insurance too expensive and he won't be able to get one at all. But the SV would be right in the range of reason with a good instructor (MSF) and he'll get to think that it's a 650 so there for it'll be enough to impress his buddies who also don't have a pair of firing neurons to rub together.

All he knows is he wants a "crotch rocket" of course having little idea that there's a huge difference between a CBR900 and a EX500 as far as the level of expertise required to avoid killing oneself on the maiden ride.

It's the kids. I use to tear up the streets. Then started thinking about the kids so moved into cruisers. Now I'm going back to the dirt so that I ride with the kids.